close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mushrooms hunters?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rooster, Jan 16, 2005.

1. I know that there are several mushroom hunters on this site, and I need some help getting started. What are some good books or websites that will help me start hunting mushrooms? I live in SW Ohio, in general what type of mushrooms can I expect to find in this area? When are they in season? What type of environment (location) should I be looking for? Thanks for any assistance!

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

3. Yup those two are pretty good...
    Books are easy to obtain from the local library...
    What you should do is print some photos off the web so you know what your looking for and try to go with someone who knows what to pick and what not...
    May want to change that 2nd link to: http://www.morels.com/

4. Rooster, I sent you a PM for a productive area to hunt for morels in SW Ohio. I live too far away to do any 'shroom hunting at that spot these days.

Steve

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Send me that PM also Alter ;)

6. Check your PMs Fishman :)

Steve

7. Thanks Rooster for the question. I did not start hunting mushrooms until I moved up here. I am glad Orlando put those site down. Now I can answer some questions that I have.

8. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

The wild mushroom hunters BIBLE is "The National Audubon Societies Field Guide to NorthAmerican Wild Mushrooms"

This book will answer all of your questions and more.

The only advise I can offer is that before you EVER eat a wild mushroom, show it to a person who KNOWS if it is the right kind to eat...you CAN die from wild mushrooms that grow around here. AND allways remember to NEVER eat an all white wild mushroom.

9. Uh-oh :eek:

10. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Yep. Have been for about 13 years :) Looking forward to every year....although the past 2 have been a bust. Not sure how this year is going to fare as my honey holes were under about 5' of water for a week or so. Going to find out soon I guess. I run a group for hunting morels......more of a database for your reports, findings, pictures, etc. Makes it easy to group and find. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/morelhunters/

11. I normally give mine away to the older people in my neck of the woods. I enjoy the hunt more than the meal. I have several spring friends now. lol

12. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Thats what I enjoy most, giving them away to others.

13. catlover

catlover Banned

I enjoy giving mushrooms away myself. I'm familiar with most of the common ones. If I do find one that looks interesting, but am unsure of it-I give them to my mother in-law. She loooves mushrooms.

HEH-HEH

14. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i used to drive up to northern michigan for morels.. it used to be kind of easy.. my buddy would give me a call and i would head up.. we may spend a few hours or days up there and get our supply.. nowadays its gone as fast as its appear.. i would love to be able to find just a few for myself here and there.. :) i know rover would love to go huntin' too..
    in the mean time, i just buy them dried.. :eek:

15. Morels are a great springtime shroom. But, lets not forget about the fall sheephead. I love to look for morels, but sheephead ,for me, are alot easier to find. This past autumn I found a 2 trees that produced 40 quart bags between the two of them. The National Audubon Society has the Field Guide To Mushrooms and this is a great reference for mushrooms hunters.