close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mushroom Question ??

Discussion in 'Wild Edibles' started by RMK, Sep 12, 2017.

1. RMK

RMK

I found two different types of mushrooms in my yard while mowing today. Both around pine trees. Possibly rotting wood underground. Not positive. I thought the first ones were chantrells but after doing a little research they might be something called a slippery jack. I thought the other was a young puff balls but again after checking I think it is something different. What do you guys think? What are they and are they edible?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

Puffballs don't stem like that and anything around pine is a no go. For sure the Orange ones are no good. Hard to tell what the white ones are they are very young. Again I wouldn't eat anything from pine areas

RMK likes this.

3. Don't look like jacks to me but some type of bolete/sullius. Did they bruise a different color?Taste bitter? Lots of edible mushrooms grow around conifers. The only pine warning I know of is if it's growing right on the tree itself.The white one not a clue.

RMK likes this.
  4. RMK

RMK

i didnt notice any different color of bruising. and i didnt taste them!

5. Ant

Ant

I would guess Sullius on the first.Maybe the white ones are a agaricus.The pics not the best.

6. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Yes, I was thinking Suillus for the first pics. Might be edible, might be not! The thing about wild mushrooms is, something labeled "edible" might not necessarily taste good. All that "edible" means in that case is that you can choke it down and it won't make you sick!

As for the second 'shroom, I'd advise caution! It might just be me, but that close up pic reminds me too much of pics of Amanita buttons I've seen in the past. True, I don't see a vulvar sack, but I'd still hold them suspect!

RMK likes this.
  7. RMK

RMK

Alright. What about this one?[​IMG]

8. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Mehhh, I don't know. They're not the classic oyster shape, and the gills seem a bit too fine for them. Would like to see a pic of the underside of one of them cut off right at the wood, to see if the gills run down the stem.

RMK likes this.
  9. RMK

RMK

They were very fresh/young. I ll try to get back there and get another picture.

10. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Smell is important for oyster....they have very distinctive smell...I agree they don't look like oysters...similar though...

11. RMK

RMK

funny you mentioned the smell. i dont know what they are supposed to smell like but i did smell them and thought they smelled good and very mushroomy....

12. hardwaterfan

Just keep trying and learning, it's pretty fascinating stuff. Oysters typically have pure white gill also, not tan, and it's hard to tell from a pic but oysters are extremely fragile, the ones in your pic "look"more rigid and sturdy than an oyster....also if your interested Google "spore printing"

RMK likes this.
  13. hardwaterfan

I was just reading about oyster ...the Internet says they can be off white to tan. The ones I've found and grown were pretty darn white.....they sell pre spawned bags that grow oysters, that was fun...like 20 bucks or so...it was cool to see...

RMK likes this.
  14. set-the-drag

set-the-drag Johnny tsunami

A russula. Looks like a rosy but I'm going to say emetic. according to the book I wouldn't eat either

fishmeister likes this.
  15. I agree with russula, poisonous. I've held off on the oyster pic because they didn't look like classic oysters. Shape is wrong & to bulbous. Expected them to have pores & then you post a pic of gills. Others talk about the aroma & once you pick true oysters you'll see what they mean. They don't have a poisonous look-a-like so I'm not sure what you have?? Suppose they could be early/fresh ones. Curious what they grow in to. Try a spore print to see if it's white.

fishmeister and RMK like this.