close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mushroom Predictions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Mar 15, 2005.

1. So what do you all think about the shrooming this year? It seems like everyone has an opinion about how good it will be depending on the rain/snow, temps and what ever else happens through the winter. Me, I really have no idea:confused: , I just hope to get some this year.;)

2. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

This is following like 3 years ago, and I cleaned house! Only problem.......my main patches were under about 8-10' of water from the flooding this winter. :( Not sure if that will affect them or not. Could actually cause them to go into "hyper" mode if you will. They tend to overproduce fruit to propagate heavy spore distribution to prevent the "colony" from being wiped out. Sounds strange.......but it's true. The flood might cause this. If so..........I should score BIG TIME. LOL. Same scenario with burining a woods. They pop up all over the place afterwards because of this.

3. Man I cant wait! I have not had any the last 2 years so I'm going to make sure I get out a few times. Its hard to give up fishing time to go shrooming but I will just have to do it this year. I'm going to try to get to AEP for some shrooming. I found a few great places over there.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I wish I was wealthy, I had no choice but to stop mushroom hunting, with limited time off work, fishing won out..But I did enjoy it.

5. I'm with you flat, I work about 60 hours a week so its hard to find the time to do both.

6. I tried mushroom hunting in the dark last spring in MI, whenever i'm in the wooods, the last place i'm looking is at my feet.

I figured if i had a light thats the only place i would look. I did find a few, but probably becasue i knew which trees to look for.

J

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i sure hope it's a good season...we're due for one.i just hope we don't get a warm spell that gets them started then have a cold snap.
    i'm looking forward to going to michigan this year.i'm due for some time out in the woods camping and finding some shrooms.

8. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

:D :) :D It couldn't be better. I'm ready. they're up in California and Texas I'll drive lets go getem! This talk makes me hungry guess I'll have to open a jar of my canned morels and enjoy them with some crappies I got throught the ice this winter.
    Hope you all have a great morel season!

9. How do you can them? I have dried them before and they are ok but nothing beats them when they are fresh.

10. shroomhunter

It's a closely guarded secret from the ancient sacred crypts of Egypt :D
    Just kidding :) I'll copy it down and PM it to you. Be awhile I'm going to Buckeye Lake fishing right now! Liebs area, red jeep, brown dog me grinnin holdin a big ol saugeye :D

11. shroomhunter

I was grinnin' but it was only about 8". A true lunker for me, although I tied into a limb that put up a decent fight till the brown dog got ahold of it. He's real tough on sticks. Found a beautiful brand new X-Rap somebody just left it laying in the water for me! Good Day! Now some arrowhead hunting! :D

12. At least you got something, and a new lure. I found a small tackle box over at AEP once, way back in the woods and it had about 10 or 12 cranks in it, rapalas, rattle traps and a few other small cranks. Always nice when you find something you can use, but I have lost more than I've ever found:rolleyes: .
    Good luck on the arrowheads, I have not dont that for years but have a few pretty good ones.