Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
El Fly Guy
1,846 Posts
So yesterday I decided to hit up Darby Creek, but realized it was very low. My buddy and I headed over to the local bait shop (he usually only fishes live bait), but as of 9:00am, they were closed. What the heck? So, I told him I would spin fish instead of fly fish and teach him how to use some artificials. We headed over to the Scioto and put the canoe in, both equipped with UL gear. The water was very clear, and measured 70 degrees where we put in. I decided we'd use some small, shallow cranks - Bomber Square A in Baby Bass with Orange Belly, with square lip. I bought a mess of these 2 years ago on clearance for $1.50 each at Bass Pro.
[/COLOR]
This was the beginning of an incredible day. We caught channel cats, largemouth bass, white bass, carp, saugeye, and smallmouth bass. I hooked into a gar that looked to be 3 feet long that spit the thing back at me when it was at boat. The river was on FIRE. Almost all of the fish were holding near cover after riffles in deep holes at bends. The smallmouth of the day was a monster under an overhanging tree - I literally thought it was a snag at first. We were ripping the cranks pretty quickly, so hits sometimes felt like snags. I don't think I've ever caught a smallie this big before, and I've caught 2 fish Ohio smallies - but no scales and no tape measures, so she was returned quickly. The next surprise of the day was the big carp - on the crank. My first thought was "River Monster," but that quickly changed to "Slime Machine" as I brought it to net. After 5 hours dragging that net down the river behind the canoe, it was still slimy Damn fish. :D I'm not complaining, though...Below are a couple photos of a few fish while we had our cameras out. It gets to be a pain (for me anyway) since I always carry the thing in a ziplock bag, and with the amount of stuff we had, it isn't always quick to find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts