Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to do some research for a trip next year. Usually do a week trip to Chautauqua each spring and my buddy asked that I consider going to a new lake at least for one year. We have talked about Lake St Clair for years but I think I am probably a bit undersized for that system with a 50hp pushing a 16.5 V. He suggested Mullett or Burt. We primarily search out smallmouth on our trips and there needs to be a population of walleye for a meal or two. It's also nice to have incidental catches of muskie or pike. We are also looking for something within 6 hours or so of central Ohio. Seems like these two lakes can deliver on those requirements. Anybody have any insight or experiences to share on these lakes? I would need to determine the timing for when the bite should be good and I have no idea on lodging. Its usually just 2 of us and we need nothing fancy but do need a dock with power. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You’d be fine on St. Clair if you stayed on the Canadian side at Mitchell’s Bay. The smallmouth fishing there is great! You will also catch pike and musky in the bay. If the water gets rough they have canals and the Sny River you go into to get out of the weather. Canals offer great largemouth action and the river has good walleye fishing! Only a 4 1/2 hr drive from Columbus.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’d be fine on St. Clair if you stayed on the Canadian side at Mitchell’s Bay. The smallmouth fishing there is great! You will also catch pike and musky in the bay. If the water gets rough they have canals and the Sny River you go into to get out of the weather. Canals offer great largemouth action and the river has good walleye fishing! Only a 4 1/2 hr drive from Columbus.
I think you gave me a recommendation on lodging at LSC a few years ago. Can you remind me?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
We always stayed in Wallaceburg. There’s a couple of places right on the bay. Bass Haven which has cabins and Parkside, which has rooms and cabins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I been to Mullet and Burch several times and there is some fishing there but it is more of a recreational lake. We have friends that live on the lake and he has trouble finding fish. Late in the evening when all the boat traffic dies down is the best

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Go to the SEARCH option on the top selections bar and type in "Mullett Lake".
There are plenty of old threads located there.
The consensus is if you are going to drive that far, why not run a couple of hours farther and get to the UP or Cedarville, where there is some real fishing.
Mullett, Burt, Indian River are all recreational lakes.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to the SEARCH option on the top selections bar and type in "Mullett Lake".
There are plenty of old threads located there.
The consensus is if you are going to drive that far, why not run a couple of hours farther and get to the UP or Cedarville, where there is some real fishing.
Mullett, Burt, Indian River are all recreational lakes.
Ok thanks. I read through some of the older posts so was just looking for some recent input. I am starting to look at LSC again.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I agree with the 16.5/50hp being enuff for st.clair. if the wind kicks up then take take advantage of the great lmb and panfish and pike.
You also have both rivers as an option.
Though parts of them can get ruff as well with right combo of boat traffic and wind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts