Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all.

as all of you southwest ohio fishers are aware, the muggy weather is upon us. which prompts me to ask this question.

during the hot weather, dont bass go deeper to hang out? what types of bait do you use in the summer compared to anyother time? do you change it up at all?

·
31 Posts
Close to sun up or sun down a buzzbait can still produce a lot of largemouth in shallow water, I prefer black or white. During the day I have better luck in deep water with a deep diving crank or soft plastics. For smallies I have the best luck in deeper pools bouncing a crawdad-like crankbait off of the rocks. Mid day heat hasn't done me any favors fishing for smallies.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Gotta love a black and blue jig with a black/blue fleck chigger craw for
the warm water fishing!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where i fish is the little miami river and the water is no more than 4 ft deep. its probably closer to 3ft deep. it has a major rocky bottom. does this change the whole plan now?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nigh fish. Black spinner bait with a big thumping colorado blade. Strike king makes a decent model out of the package. I fish shallower at night and do well on this bait as well as a black blue jig and a 7" blue fleck power worm. I love fishing the spinner bait at night. You get the bass when they are activly feeding and they absolutely crush it. Having a good black light helps with teh jig adn worm fishing. you can see your line well with it.

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Try Texas rigging some black lizards or wooly beavers as well...other than that maybe a black buzz bait or a black torpedo/jitterbug

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Try wacky rigging a small 3-4 inch Yum Dinger or Senko. Fish it real slow and you should produce lots of fish. Thats during the daytime. Get a small sammy or walk the dog lure for night time. Whatever you normally use downsize it, it will produce a lot more fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts