close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mt Rainer or Mt St Helens?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

We are heading out to Washington State before too long and would like to know from anyone who has visited which would be better to visit? We have 1 day yet to plan and it will be either Mt Rainer or Mt St Helens but I am looking for advice on which one........Any and all other info on things to do in the great Northwest would be appriciated as well. We are Kayaking with the Orcas one day and spending a day in Olympic National Forrest while we are out there as well.:T :T :T

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i think i'd go for ranier.while you're in the area,stop and say hey to my brothers in seattle:D

3. Darwin

Seriously you have brothers in Seattle? We plan on driving through Seattle on our way back to Bellingham before we head back home. This will be my first trip that far west. I have only made it as far as Deadwood and Rapid City S.D.

4. I have been to both in the last 2 years, and both are cool in different ways
    Rainer. What Mt. St. Helens used to look like. Very cool mountain. seen alot of mountains and Rainer rates upthere on the scenic scale.
    St. Helens, The degree of devestation is unbelieveable still to this day some 25 years later.
    If i had one day, i would go see St. Helens. but thats just me

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yeah.two brothers still there.the third moved back here several years ago.they all went visit friends back in the 70's and never came back:D
    i spent several months there back in the 80's,and almost stayed too,LOL.

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I haven't been to either since 1987 when I was at Ft. Lewis.
    Mt. Ranier is beautiful but I remember it was difficult to get up close to the mountain by car.
    Mt. St Helens was awesome. You don't realize how powerful a volcano is until you get out of your car and do a 360 only to see ash and old growth forest toppled like toothpicks.
    The visitors center wasn't built yet back then and they were just making the road that went up the side of the mountain. We took a rental Cavalier and went 4 wheeling in the ash and climbed the mountain on foot and camped on the side of the crater. There was no one around back then.
    I doubt if you could get away with that now.
    I would choose Mt. St. Helens. You'll probably never get to see the devastation up close and personal that a volcano can do while mountains like Ranier are all over Colorado.
    Post pics whichever you choose. I'd love to see what St. Helens looks like now.

Mt. St. Helens mountain cam-
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/current-conditions/special.shtml

7. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

The last time I was there was shortly after the eruption and noone was allowed on St. Helens. We did go to Ranier which was very cool, but if I was going there I would go to St. Helens to see the devestation from the eruption.
    The Olympic Nat'l forest is awesome. It feels like you are in a pre-historic jungle, huge ferns, mossy trees, very dark and quiet....real cool.
    Brian

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ok,you guys convinced me i was wrong:D
    almost 25 years after my visit,it would be interesting to see the place being "reborn" as well as the remnants of the devestation.
    one of my brothers was camping/fishing there when it erupted.fortunately his truck broke down and he had hiked out earlier to get help.i think the truck is now a permanent(buried) part of the landscape;)

i second the rain forest too.awesome place.another interesting site is the fish ladder at the lake washington locks.this is a good time to start getting a close-up view of thousands of salmon making their way to their spawning grounds.

9. Darwin

thanks for all of the advice. I think it will be Mt St Helens!!

10. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

go with ranier tim....I have been there 3x

11. If I remember right? Didn't the ash float all the way to Ohio when it erupted?

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yes it did.one of my brothers lived in portland,oregon at the time and sent me pictures he took that day and afterwards.high noon and it looked like midnight.ash covered the ground there also.