close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mpg ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Warpath, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I was watching the replay of a Bass Tech or Bassmaster University and I saw a product that was supposed to increase your MPG while towing. It was demonstrated by Peter Thilveros, and it plugged in under the dash and analyzed your computer and changed setting to increase your MPG. I was wondering if any one knew what this product was or if you saw the episode as I did.

Eric

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

probally a Superchips tuner.

3. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Wow! We could certainly use one of those thats for sure... Between our Toyota Tundra (double cab), the boat and my Mazda Rx-8, we are paying sooooo much for gas it's sickening! The other day I paid $2.79.9 per gallon for the Mazda! I sure hope that this spike in gas prices ends soon because I could think of a million other things that I would rather do with that money...
    Marcia

4. I am afraid that this may not be what I would call a spike. I don't persaonally expect to see the prices coming down any time soon unfortunately. I was just up in Canada last week and was paying up around $3.80 a gallon in Canadian dollars which given the dwindling US dollar is really like $3.30 or more here.

I can't imagine any plug-in chip that will increase the efficiency of one's vehicle the way that Warpath mentioned. If that is the case then I would be giving the automakers hell for not producing the most efficient vehicle possible in the first place.:rolleyes:

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Woundn't $3.80 per imperial gallon be just about equivalent to U.S. prices...??? No matter really, it still hurts. ;)

6. No we were paying as high as $1.05/liter. If you take the $1.05 x 3.78 liters per gallon you get $3.97 Canadian. I believe the exchange rate was somewhere around .84 so $3.97 x .84 = $3.33.;)

It was easy to feel it when we were paying well over $20 to fill a 6 gallon gas can.:(

7. Funny,Popular Mechanics just did a test on all of these on the maket :) They all failed to help-most of them took away something(hp-mpg) go figure :rolleyes:

8. I guess that is consistent with my guess on them. It just seems like a rip-off. I think although the vehicles may not be the most economical to start with still the automakers are not building them with anything less than their efficiency potential. After all if they were able to design a truck to get a few more miles to the gallon it would sell better.:rolleyes:

9. I would think this would be a simple equation assuming type of gas, drag, friction, gravety, airpressure are constants. (Although I don't think I have it correct.)

MPG=hp*speed

To get a more MPG you would have to give up either hp or the speed you are driving at. It should be possible to hook up a car to a computer to run either rich (like a race car) or lean (like an econobox) at any point. Right?