Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 2 rod holders from West Marine. Figure if I buy a lil at a time it won't hurt so much. ;) There are some screws in the Gunnel, but they don't match the holes in the bases of the holders. I think I can use 2 of the 4 holes, just need to drill thru instead of using screws. Do I need to put some Silicon between the base and the boat, and fill the empty screw holes with it also? Where is the best place to mount them, right at the back by the Transom or can I put a set a few feet forward and have the rods stick out 90deg from the boat?
Sons going for treatments this week and I figure we'll install em next weekend together. Any pics of your holder set-up's would be appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Vehicle Water transportation Speedboat Bass boat Boat If you're talking fiberglass I would fill the holes with a two part filler, sand and re drill for the screws. I use Marine Tex that I bought at a local marina,which dries very hard, sands pretty easy, and can be redrilled. I'm sure West Marine carries a similar product.
As for mounting, I like mine alittle forward for quicker access once a fish is on. Here's a couple pix. Hope this helps.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Make sure you give yourself room to reel in the fish and net the fish. Use all four holes to secure the holders, silicone shouldn't be needed but if want a small rubber pad would work well.. I keep 10" between my holders. Also keep in mind where you'll put the others when you get them.
I run boards so other setups maybe different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts