close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

motor will not turn?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by fishb8t, Mar 19, 2005.

1. i started to get my boat ready for this year. when i went to turn the steering wheel and nothing happened? i have tried to move the motor by hand but that did not work?

i wanted to try here be4 i took the boat to a dealer.
    the motor is a 35 Mercury.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Sounds like your steering cable is froze up. If that's correct replace it! Don't take a chance on it locking up while your on the water.

3. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

In all probability your sterring cables are froze up.Unfasten cables at the engine and see if whell turns, if not thats your problem. If cables have never been cahnged and boat has any years at all on it I would order them and you can change them yourself. Good luck

4. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Looks like ma and Dale posted the same results at the same time. It's unanimous. Change the cables

5. i have taken the cable of the engine and the wheel did turn. its just the motor will not. i am not sure how old the cables are so it lookz like i will just get a new cable. ty for your help.

6. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Wait a minute , did you disconnect the cables at the motor and the wheel turned? Did the cables move at the motor? If I'm understanding you right then it's not the cables. Can you turn the motor by hand?

7. i went to the motor and unsrewed the nut from the cable. then pulled on the cable(it was not that hard to pull) and the wheel turned but the motor did not. i have tryed to turn the motor with my hands but that did not work.

8. My dads did the same thing.What he did was unhooked the steering cable.Then kept turning the wheel back and forth lightly oilying it with 3in 1 or WD40.He even light heated it one time.If you keep turning it, it will eventually let loose.If you get it loose look in Bass Pro for grease fitting that goes on the end of the bar.It help keep the dirt off that goes in the bar that clogs it up.My dad said don't use grease on the fitting until you get the wheel free.Just use oil.Hope it works.I know my dad fought with it for a couple of hours one year.Now with that new nut on the end he never has trouble.

9. sorry just red your new post maybe I was wrong.Maybe something else!

10. I'm quoting here.....

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/004316.html

I've had mine lock up due to dried out grease. Its amazing how much resistance it can provide because of the amount of surface area between rod and tube. Imagine gluing it in there. The next suggestion will help you in any case. Use the zerts(inspect and you should find them) to grease up the tube...use wd 40 anything to get lubrication between tube and rod. If you havn't lubricating using the zerts, it's a likely cause. Give it a shot if u havn't already.

11. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

If the cables and whell moves it's not bad cables. If they are single cables and pretty old it would be a good idea to change them anyway. Modern bigger HP outbaords come with dual bacles for two reasons. Less feedback from the engine( easier to steer) and safety. If one cable breaks (which does happen ,I know from experience) The other will keep the outboard from suddenly going into a sharp turn and loosing control. There should be a grease zert on the outboard where it pivots. Try shooting that with grease.