close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor Troubles

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BuckeyeAngler, May 19, 2005.

1. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

I have a 9.8 Mercury outboard motor that I'm having trouble with. It idles fine but once you put it in gear and put the load of the boat on it, it runs for a few seconds and then dies. Does anyone know of a good Mercury repair shop in the Columbus area.

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

My Johnson 9.9 was doing the exact same thing. It would idle fine, but once you put it in gear, it wanted to stall. I could keep it running with the choke for a minute or two, but it would finally die.

It needed the carb rebuilt.

3. Sounds Like The Main Jet Is Plugged. Has It Been Run Since Last Year?

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I agree with these guys. A carb rebuild is very easy. Get a manual and a carb rebuild kit. Total probably $30 for both. I'd do the fuel pump and fuel filter at the same time. Take it to a shop this time of year and you'll be lucky to get it back in time to fish this fall as well as drop about $160 just in labor.

5. I am having a similar issue with my 20HP Mercury. It will run with the choke out for a bit, but once I try to put it in gear and give it some gas, it dies as well. I have replaced the fuel hose and fuel filter, so I am lead to believe the carburetor may be the cause of my headaches. Any suggestions on where to by a carb rebuild kit in the Columbus area? I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to small engine repair. Is this something that a relatively intelligent person can do?

6. BuckeyeAngler

BuckeyeAngler Love to be on the Water

Thanks guys for all the help...hopefully I have it running on the water soon...