close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

motor troubles

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by paco, Feb 23, 2005.

1. paco

paco

its a 1999 115 evinrude ficht . this has been a good motor for me good on gas and lots of power with no real problems until afew months ago . took it out to berlin let it warm up for about 15-20 min . then when i was going down the lake around 5250 rpms it just started losing rpms until it died like it wasn't getting gas . then when i tried to start it back up it would crank but not fire when it would fire as soon as you gave it gas it would just die . i'm thinking its the low pressure fuel pump but wanted to get some other opinions before i go and buy the pump .

2. Did you replace plugs? Check fuel line for small leaks? Those are just the more obvious and simple checks. Beyond that I am not fortunate enough to be running a newer outboard so I can not relate it to my past experiences.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

It is probably your primer bulb. This is the most common thing to cause this. Replace it and the fuel line. Maybe $15 or you can get just the bulb for around $5. Any walmart has them.

4. I hope that is all that is wrong with your motor. Next week I'm upgrading my motor to a 98 150 evinrude ficht. Let me know how it turns out for you. They say these our good motors. I hope so.....................

5. Ncraft probably hit it right on the money. I had very similar difficulties last year with my Evinrude 48 spl. It was new to me with the boat and I spent $200 on a pair of coils and a power pack. Didn't solve the problem. A good old primer hose assembly cured it in no time flat. Actually happy I spent the extra cash though, it gave me an opportunity to tear down the carbs and the electrical system. Now, I know I can always go back and fix it if I needed to.

Eric

6. I have a 150 johnson 2000 i do believe, i too had the same problem only mine did it after i sat for a while fishing start the darn thing up give it gas fall flat on its face. Primer bulb did the trick for me. Always start with the simplest and cheapest solutions first

Good luck Jerry

7. paco

paco

thanks guys i checked the plugs and fuel filter but i never thought about the primer bulb . it was nice and hard when i had the problem but i will try that .
    hunt for bass just make sure the motor your getting has all the upgrades . if they offer you a warranty check to see what all it covers if it will cover the ecu it maybe worth getting . if you have to replace the ecu i think it can run anywhere from $500 to $1000 plus shipping . i have had no problems with mine but its a v4 and i think a 150 is v6 . the biggest problem i have is plugs . i change them in the spring and half way through the summer . you will notice a misfire around 1000rpms and on the topend you will lose rpms .

8. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I have a spark plug cleaner. It works great. I put new plugs in once a year and if they need cleaned I do so. Usually once or twice a year. Plugs can get pricey for my outboard considering it is a 150 V6 with 12...yes 12 spark plugs.

9. I added a fuel line filter to my older outboard.

10. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

here is somthing else to check I had a 1989 Johson the acted like the dscription of your problem I found out that OMC has a saftey set up with the thermostat that will keep your from over heating also did you get any audibale alarm Could be a bad stat about a 30 $ part at Pauls or buckeye marine or Knox if thats closer to you