close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor Support

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Angler Ron, Mar 3, 2005.

1. I have just purchased a new Merc and even though it has the power tilt & trim, the guldelines of the manufacturer states that it can't be towed in an upright position using the hydrolics. Can anyone recommend to me a good motor support for towing my boat?
    Thanks,
    Buckeye Ron

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

There are several out on the market/ Motor Toter is what I have but most are all the same. Your dealer should sell them. Gander Mountian sells them also. West Marine also had them. By all mean get one as soon as you can.

3. Here are a few from Cabelas. I have the third one ($39). It does a good job for me. Your choice would depend on the trailer design. Mine was a frame mount but you may be able to go with a roller mount.

Transom Savers

4. any one know if i need one ive only got a forty horse merc? the marina i bought it from didnt mention it.

5. Raines,
    It is a good idea to use a transom saver on any size outboard. Although the motor may not seem to put undue stress on the transom with its given weight, when to are driving down the road and hitting bump and potholes that shock travels all the way through your transom when there is not support for the motor. I use it on even my smaller outboard (6HP). It is an easy insurance against tearing up the transom on my boat and possibly on the motor as well.

6. thanks for the advice i've got to make this boat last seems like inexpensive prevenitive maitnance