Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to be a nervous nancy, but my 40hp mercury yesterday stalled at the dock (which has never happened before). Started it back up and went fishing for a few hours and while we were trolling it stalled right while running. After trying to start it a few times I went back to the ball pump and the pressure was all gone. Gave it a few squeezes and the motor started right up. Is this just a normal occurence or a symptom of something else? Have had the boat a year and this is the first time this has happened.

Much thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
From end to end check your fuel lines, connections, and filters to make sure everything is clean and in good shape.

I've had a clogged filter and fuel pump that caused a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the scoop, keepinitreel. I checked the connections and everything looks ok. Guess the next step would be the inline fuel filter.

BTW, when I open up the motor, there are small amounts of oilly liquid at the bottom of the motor case. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In my opinion, no, not normal. Although, I've had some oily residue but that was due to adjusting the carb and oil lines.

Check to find the source of the oil.

Two years ago, after trouble shooting my stalling at idle on my other engine, I had to then do a carb cleaning, that means take it apart and soak parts in carb cleaner. I found some gunk in one of the jets and it ran like new. My boat tends to sit for weeks at a time and I am afraid it causes problems in the carbs.

So if you don't have a manual, get one!!! It can save you thousands of hours, heartache, and $$$.

BTW, did you open up your fuel pumps?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'm not even sure where the fuel pumps are... I have the FORCE Outboards Operation & Maintenance manual but it didn't go into detail of breaking down all the parts such as the fuel pumps. I can certainly change the inline fuel filter myself... guess I'll have to try and get more info from the internet.
Much thanks for all your insight!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts