close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

motor shutsdown?????

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ezbite, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

trolled all day with the 150 merc yesterday, as i was comming to the dock at idle, i bumped into neutral to coast to it and the motor just shutdown. like i turned off the key. (even though i touched nothing). i reached over and turned the key and it started right up. is this something i should be concerned about? i never had anything like this happed before. what should i check?? thanks for any replys. this has got me a little spooked.

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

You may just want to inspect your spark plugs and filters to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you have a future incident.

When was the last time you de-carboned the engine? (Assuming it's a 2-stroke)

3. ezbite

im pulling the plugs tomorow. what do you mean when you say de-carbon. i ran seafoam up until this last tank. thanks. it is a 2 stroke.

4. KaGee

5. Champion188 Elite

Champion188 Elite Smallie slayer

I would say check the plugs as well.Trolling all day with the 150 may have them foul'd,especially if it is an EFI? I don't think it's much to worry about.

6. ezbite

7. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

ez,
    I use Dunks decarb process also. I troll on my Merc 150 EFIs and don't have any problems. I use Mercury Prem Plus 2-stroke oil and don't seem to get much carbon buildup at all. To add to the other's comments, what rpm does your engine normally run at in neutral? If it is on the low end of specs, that could be a reason for the shutdown when you pulled it back to neutral after running it in from the lake. Might need a little adjustment there.

Workdog

8. ezbite

thanks, i was thinking that i should bump up the idle. i took it down to about 600 just for trolling and that is in the bottom range.

9. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I did the same thing last year, botomed out the idle at 600 rpm and had trouble going in and out of gear at the dock (cutting out). Since I have an older io I just dialed in the points and the timing and that cured it. Easy fix for me.

10. ezbite

workdog, would you mix oil? lets say the 2 gallons regular mercury 2 stroke (left in the tank) with another gallon of premium to top off the tank? would it be a better idea drain the tank and start fresh? at $18.00 a gallon i can't see wasting it. thanks

11. KaGee

Not Workdog! ;)

But I am not a proponent of mixing oils or greases. I'd run the other almost out before I refilled with the new stuff.

12. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

If you have jugs of the regular Merc 2-stroke oil, I would just use that up first. The premium plus uses the same base stock, but has additional additives, so I would say it would be OK to mix the two once (I mixed a couple times, although there are some that say never mix--that is much more applicable to two different brands). The $18 a gallon is high. See if you can find a dealer who sells it out of a 50 gallon drum (bring your own container). I've gotten it for as low as $7 gallon down in Virginia last year. Otherwise, I get oil at BassPro Shops when they have it on sale.

Workdog

13. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Gander Mountain usually has the lowest price on the Premium Plus. I try to watch for sales too. Last year I bought five jugs at $11.00 each!!

Do the spray can and second gas tank methods produce equal results? The spray can method seems better for people who trailer and would like to decarbonize at home.

14. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

If you can spray seafoam straight into the carbs on a carburated model, that works the best. Spray it in until the engine is smoking good and bogs down. Cut the engine off while still spraying. Let it sit for 15 minutes then run around under load at medium throttle settings. Seafoam has been used for a loooonnng time, but still acts the quickest. Other decarb fluids recommend setting up much longer. Best I can figure on an EFI or DFI is to use the 3 gallon tank method (unless someone here knows otherwise).

Workdog

15. ezbite

i just did the 16oz of seafoam to 3/4 gallon of gas. i did it in the drive with the muffs and yes i did run it in forward at idle. smoked like CRAZY!!! i ran the entire 3/4 gallon thru it in intervals, then let it run for a while with regular gas. man, what a difference. the idle smoothed out, but it did go up about 100 to 150 rpm??? before i did this i pulled out the plugs and looked at the tops of the pistons. they were black with carbon. i could see it in different thicknesses. i used my surefire flashlight to look in and got a good view. after i was done i pulled the plugs again and i could actually see shining, clean metal on the tops of the pistons. they were not completely clean of all carbon, but most of it was gone. keep in mind my motor is a 1995. im impressed with this method and will do it every time the motor starts to run rough. thanks to all who gave input to this thread. this is why i love this site. its because of all the unselfish members. thanks guys:)

now that i think about it my idle should back go down once in the water and underway.. i hope.lol.