close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor Rotates while towing

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Reel Lady, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Our motor seems to want to rotate while we are towing it. I have heard that there is a product that was developed to solve this problem, but have no idea who makes it. Any ideas?
    thanks,
    Marcia

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Rotates...you talkin the prop, or the actual motor turns from side to side as if someone was steering it?

If the motor is turning, you need a transom saver. You should have one of those regardless!

3. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Leave it in gear...! :D

4. Reel Lady

The whole moter ends up rotated to one side or the other. I'm not sure how "leaving it in gear" would solve this? :confused:

5. ShakeDown

transom saver will fix that, and protect your transom.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

are you talking about the little boat?if so,just turn it all the way to one side and tie it off with a bungy the way i do.if it's the big boat it shouldn't do that with a transom saver.

aha,we both posted at the same time :D

7. ShakeDown

ahhh...i didnt realize they had a smaller boat. shows how much I pay attention ;)

8. Reel Lady

This is for the Evinrude 225 for our Ranger. It has a transom saver.
    I've heard of these, for not better word... "Things" :) that slip over those small horizontal metal bars which would lock the motor in place to prevent it from turning. lol.. I know I'm not sounding very intelligent right now.. but lets remember that I am still somewhat a new boater :eek:

9. ShakeDown

Hmmm...I'm at a loss now. I can't see how it's possible for that outboard to turn with that transom saver attached correctly. That's a new one for me.

10. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

are you crankin it down on the transom saver hard enough. if you dont it will rock back n forth..

sowbelly

11. ShakeDown

Yeah, it sounds like you arent trimming the motor down far enough to put the weight on the transom saver to keep it anchored.

12. Reel Lady

Hmm... well I guess tonight (we will be at the Mosquito tourney) I will have to remind Rob to really tighten it down. Is there such thing as too tight?

13. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

you dont want to hold the trim button down too long. you will notice the pump strain a little, so its not to hard to figure out. what i do is grab it and try to move it after i have the motor in the t saver. i usually grab the back of the skag and try to lift it, if it dont move its not going to roll back n forth on the trailer. can also grab the motor by the cowl and see if you can move it side to side...

sowbelly

14. ShakeDown

While you're holding onto the tansom saver and trimming down, you'll feel it "load up" so to speak. I trim mine down just enough to take the pressure off the transom...the saver will kinda lock in place.

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Yeah, just lower the motor onto the transom saver a little. For a second I thought we needed an exorsist !
    Shake, your link won't work.

16. ShakeDown

Serisously Jim? I just clicked and it seems ok?

17. Reel Lady

[​IMG]
    Here is how the motor ends up looking after the boat is towed....

[​IMG]

Here is that little metal bar I was referring to in an earlier post....

18. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

By the looks of your picture you aren't using a transom saver at all. Get one and use it and I don't think you'll run into this problem anymore.

19. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Okay, I understand now. I thought you where refering to "Wind-milling". I had two slats on my last boat which was an I/O, they essentially functioned the say as a transom saver. From the photos you posted, I would venture to say a slat would prevent the engine from pivoting while towing it.