close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor problem again

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by twistertail, Aug 16, 2005.

1. So after all the problems I had getting my old motor to work I take it out in the Scioto River and bust someting in the lower unit. The motor starts up and runs great but the prop does not turn. I hit something and broke something inside, the prop is fine but it just does not turn. Any ideas how bad this is going to be?

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

WHen you say it will not turn do you mean that is is locked up? Or that it will not turn when you put your motor into gear?

I had the second happen on my 25 hp Evinrude and all it was was a shear pin. Very easy fix and hopefully that is all it is.

3. Hopefully you just sheared a pin on the prop shaft. I am not knowledgeable enough to lead you through repair blindly. I am sure some of the other folks on here can do so. I don't know whether you have a book on your motor or not but if not it would be a very valuable thing to purchase. It is very helpful in troubleshooting and repair.

4. did you have to paddle back? :p

if it was me I just would have hooked a :B and had it pull me to shore

:T

5. It could be a shear pin, it could be a spun hub, or it could be more serious. First pull the prop and check the pin and hub. It they're ok, it time to pull the lower unit. The chances are good it's one of the first two.

6. No its not locked up, I can sping the prop with my finger like you would spin fan around. I do have a manual that has pretty good diagrams in it but have not looked at it yet. Thanks for the info guys.

7. 99% chance it's just a shear pin. Take the prop off and you will know right away. If little pieces fall out, you broke the pin. all it does is go through a hole in the shaft and lock the prop in place. Designed for just the occasion so you don't break anything expensive.