close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor Mechanics -Central Ohio

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Smallie Gene, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Hello everyone, not sure if I am doing this right cause I'm a new guy posting on hear but a long time viewer of this site.

Can anyone help me locate a quality mechanic to work on a Sears Gamefisher 7.5 horse outboard? I live in the New Albany area so somewhere close to me would be great. Thanks everyone.

ps: I don't live IN New Albany so an affordable mechanic is a must too.

2. I think Twistertail is becoming an expert. :D Sorry I can't help with a mechanic. What sort of problems are you having?

3. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

The problems are similar to another posts I was reading. Just the whole idling thing. Sometimes it takes forever to start, sometime it starts right up. Then sometimes it will start and sputter out several times then when she gets to runn'n and purring like a kitten kinda like what you would expect when a carb. is gunked up and working itself clean, she starts sputtering and dying down again. I'm not a mechanic by no means, especially on boat motors but I assume its something with the carb.. Just hoping I can find a local person to have a peak at her. Somedays it works good 85% of the time and other days it behave 20% of the time. Thank God for trolling motors because I would have wore my oars down to a nub by now.

4. Have you checked the fuel line and bulb? It may be worth replacing before taking it to a mechanic. 2 stroke carb problems are usually pretty consistent.

5. Just a couple of the common problems that you may want to make sure are in order. First make sure that you are running good clean fuel and that there is no rust or dirt in the tank that may be stirring up and getting in the line. Next make sure that the fuel line and primer ball are in good shape. This is an area that can very often cause problems with the line losing prime. Try running some Sea Foam carburetor additive in a tank of fule according to the mixing directions. Many guys on here swear by this stuff and if nothing else it should help clean the carb out a bit anyway. Also, if you or someone you know is comfortable enough doing it you can take the carb off and clean it up real good. Perhaps there is some varnish buildup in it.

I hope something here helps.