close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motor Emergency--please Help!!

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by OSU_Fisherman, Apr 3, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I might be overstating this, but I have a little bit of a crisis going on. As most of you know, myself and the rest of the Ohio State Bass Fishing club are headed out to Indiana next week for the Big Ten Tournament. With the tournament only days away... my boat motor has a problem!

We got the boat out yesterday and had a ball on it for about 2 hours. Everything was working great the whole time. Anyway, I drop my dad off at the dock and back out, only to realize that I have the truck keys. So, I go to put it in forward and the boat will not go in gear. So I try reverse, will not go in gear. We fiddled with it on the water for about 10 minutes and gave up.
    Later in the evening, Trucked came and looked at it with me. I should mention that its an '89 Johnson GT150.

We found that when you put the boat in reverse, the end of the cable at the motor pushes everything its supposed to. When you go to put it back into Neutral or forward, nothing slides back forward. So, I'm hoping its just that cable and will not be a big deal. Is there anything else it could be??

I have an appointment set up early next week to get it looked at, but its is cutting a little too close to when we are leaving for my comfort. Do you know anywhere around the Columbus area that might be able to take a peek tomorrow?

Most likely I'm over-reacting, but this is my first boat so I dont know what's going on. I also just want this tournament to go smoothly as well.

2. disconnect the cables completly from the motor, see if things shift good with them off , if it does ? at least you;ll know its in the shifting controls .

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

those two statements are confusing:confused:
    first you couldn't get it in any gear,then you say it goes in reverse,but no nuetral,forward.how did you finally get it in reverse?
    do the controls move normally,or are they frozen?

ps.........ditto what bountyhunter said also.

4. OSU_Fisherman

Haha, I guess I did word that a little wrong and left a couple things out.
    On the water we couldn't get it in gear for anything. After I got it out and we started messing with the motor and manually shifting it is when we were able to get it in reverse only.

The control at the drivers seat works fine except for now there is a place where it seems to want to catch when slightly on the reverse side of Neutral.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

if the controls move freely between gears,i'm assuming the problem is there where te cables connect to the controls in the box.not sure why it won't go into forward manually if reverse works.that will sometimes happen,if cogs aren't meshing just right.try turning the prop while shifting controls at motor.

6. If the LU gears are anything like many Mercs, the motor can shift into forward without having the prop turning (the gears are like a saw tooth). You shouldn't put these LUs in reverse without rotating the prop. If you can manually shift the motor from forward, into neutral, and (while spinning prop slowly) into reverse, the problem is necessarily the control cables. Look for a kinked cable. Even a little kink can cause the cable to not slide smoothly (I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago). You can open up the control box by removing the mounting screws and then open the control box from the back. Make sure the idle lever is all the way down and the handle is in Neutral so things will line back up when you re-assemble. Make a good note how everything looks when you disassemble, so you can make it the same when you reassemble. I jacked mine a bit at first but a few beers made it all clear and it went back together alright.

If you don't get it figured out, post your question on iboats.com. Be very specific and include the serial/model number. The Johnson/Evenrude guys there will get you straightened out quickly. If you have any mechanical skills, they will get you fixed up. Most of the guys with a thousand or more posts are very knowledgable. I think J.B. will be the one to trust the most on the Johnnyrude forum. Good luck.

7. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Wow! This don't sound good. If you can't shift the motor in forward manually, I would be nervous. Just as you are. Your cables may need adjusted or replaced, but I think you should be able to shift it manually. Have you felt or heard any thumps, like the motor hit a log? Sure sign of a slipping gear. You can drain the lower unit oil and feel the oil with your fingers. If you feel things like little metal shavings, uhoh. If you don't than it might not be the lower unit. Hope it's not, not a good way to start the year. There is probably a little cover somewhere about half way down your motor. Two screws maybe. Inside there is a coupler type thing that connects the gear shift to the lower unit rod. If the tightening bolt came loose, and than got stuck out of position it could cause your problem. Worth a look. Good luck.

8. OSU_Fisherman

I took off the end of the cable at the motor and pulled on it a little and out popped about 12" of wire. It broke at the grommet coming out of the motor.

Using my hand to move the slider in the motor, I can get forward, neutral, and reverse in gear... so I know its not the lower unit (thankfully!).

Now all I have to do is find somewhere to get it fixed quickly! Thanks for the help guys!

9. winchester97

winchester97 winchester97

I would call Pier 36 near Apple Valley in Mt. Vernon. It's a little bit of a drive for you, but they are great!! They saved a trip to Canada for me once, and charged me less than anyone in my area would dream of. Call them first and explain the situation, but make sure you talk to one of the techs and not one of the front desk girls. Good luck. Pier 36 (740)-392-2925
    Mount Vernon, OH 43050

10. Replacing the cables is an easy job. Just pull the old ones out and put the new ones in (okay, it's a hair more involved than that). If you're doing one, may as well do both. The length of the gear shift one should be so at neutral, the slider is in the middle of the neutral range on the engine. The throttle one is adjusted so the idle stop has the correct pressure. I'd get a Clymer manual or something to help you do it. If you order the cables online Monday, you might be able to get them rush shipped by Wednesday...if a local repair shop doesn't have the right ones in stock. Total time for mine was about 1 hour (and another one to make it right...didn't get the control box together right the first time).

11. OSU_Fisherman

I dropped the boat off a little earlier today with the 'chance' that they'll get to it tomorrow. I think that if they dont get it done while I'm at work tomorrow, I'll be pulling it home and trying to get it done myself on Sunday evening. I'm not mechanically deficient, I guess I just got a little nervous in my abilities with a tournament on the horizon.

12. I'm sure it will all work out -good luck!

13. OSU_Fisherman

They got the cable done today!!! I was absolutely thrilled with the great turn-around that I got.

Thanks for all the help guys, next time I'll probably try it myself... but I'm hoping that isn't for a few years down the road haha.

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

glad to hear that.now you can get some sleep and get off the valium:D;)

15. OSU Fisherman....just a suggestion to try in the future. Dixie Marine (Cincy) has a pretty big staff of pros that work for them. Possibly contact Bruce or Billy and see if they might be interested in helping you guys out...call em at 513-874-0825.

Good luck and GO BUCKS

Rich

16. I'm glad it all worked out for you OSU. It is nice to be able to bring something in to a repair shop and know exactly what you want done. That way you don't have to worry if you'll get nickle and dimed. If you don't mind me asking, what was the charge for installing a cable. The cables themselves can be purchased from cabelas for just at or under $30. Just wondering what labor charges are these days. If I know that, I can convice myself I have that much more to spend on fishing gear if I do engine work myself.