Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All!
OK - I guess we need a new motor. The boat we bought came with a 1956 Johnson 5.5HP motor. Ran great for about 2 hrs yesterday (first time out). Then today, it ran for about 20 min on Long Lake and then crapped out. The pull cord would not pull - the motor was locked up. No fishing for us.

Got the boat and motor home (Thank God for the Trolling Motor!!). Motor was leaking some whitish goo from the lower unit around the gear case. My guy took the oil screws out, and drained some water and about a cup of gray smelly gunk. The nice guy next door told us we probably should have greased the gears fresh before taking it out - but of course, it's too late now.

So - experts out there - is it toast? Can it be repaired affordably, or will it cost more than it's worth? Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive small outboard? I'm BUMMIN!:mad:

Thanks for all your help, folks!
Sarah

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hello, All!
OK - I guess we need a new motor. The boat we bought came with a 1956 Johnson 5.5HP motor. Ran great for about 2 hrs yesterday (first time out). Then today, it ran for about 20 min on Long Lake and then crapped out. The pull cord would not pull - the motor was locked up. No fishing for us.

Got the boat and motor home (Thank God for the Trolling Motor!!). Motor was leaking some whitish goo from the lower unit around the gear case. My guy took the oil screws out, and drained some water and about a cup of gray smelly gunk. The nice guy next door told us we probably should have greased the gears fresh before taking it out - but of course, it's too late now.

So - experts out there - is it toast? Can it be repaired affordably, or will it cost more than it's worth? Does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive small outboard? I'm BUMMIN!:mad:

Thanks for all your help, folks!
Sarah
I have a 6HP Evinrude 1974 Model I'll sell for 200.00
No problems with it.

·
Administrator
9,450 Posts
You'll spend more than that trying to rebuild that gearcase. Go for it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KaGee - You're right about that one! I emailed a place and they told me it would be between 200 and 500 to repair. My guy is just going to put the old motor up in the garage as a project and we're going to take Paradise's great offer. Again, thanks to everyone. This is a great forum with GREAT MEMBERS. Have a great day!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts