close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motion Sickness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reel Lady, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried those little bracelets that have small batteries in them to send electrical pulses to avoid/relieve sea sickness?
    I've been lucky so far... but then again, haven't really spent much time on Erie. But, this year, I know we will be on Erie alot more, and I know that if I'm going to get sick anywhere... it's there! :eek:
    So, I'd like to hear your experiences if you've used this little bracelet. I think they cost about 100.00 and would hate to buy it if it was truly a waste...

2. catking

catking Banned

I have to be king of the sea sick . No kidding....... I get sick in the tub......anyhow, I take dramamine (?) starting two days before an outing on a big lake like Erie. Also, and this is no joke, I cut a square section out of a brown paper bag to stuff down the front of my shirt in case I start to get sick. Heard this from a few vets of the sea (Erie) ;) Seasickness is all a state of mind. It's in your brain/eye pulse ;) And you WILL get sick on Erie if you venture out on it long enough . CATKING

3. try the diff things on the market,also don't look down while out on the water.It just makes it worse,also stand up as much as possible.good luck

4. i tried those wrist bands with the pressure points and just about when i thought they might be working, it hit me. i felt like i was going to technicolor yawn over the entire lake, and i mean it was rough out there. dramamine works for me but i agree that it's in my head. i used to get plane sick too and then i had to fly a lot and i got over it. i'm not quite as bad as i used to be on the lake (i'm usually ok until about 4 -5 footers) but if i didn't get seasick, i'd probably be out there in all kinds of stuff that i shouldn't be in.

i feel your pain-

pik-n-fin

5. bassn317

bassn317 Casual Fisherman

Also the rear of the boat is better than the front. Learned that in the Navy. Thank god I bunked about mid-ship.

6. I TRIED them this past summer ocean fishing in North Carolina and they didn't work. I was down sick, puked a couple of times, for about 2 hours. Then I took a couple of dramimine (?) and was fine a half an hour later. Went on to catch quite a few fish in the afternoon.
    If I go out on a large body of water again, like the ocean or even Lake Erie, I will be taking the pills. Might even follow the King's advice and start a little early! My 2 cents worth, TAKE THE PILLS!

7. Go for the patch behind the ear prescribed by a doctor. Good for 2 to 3 days. Stick it on the night before.

8. 12 Pack of Rolling Rock and 1 Pint of Black Velvet will take care of it.
    Get tippsy before boarding and it feels like a natural state of mind.

9. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Owen,

Wow, I don't get sea sick and just the thought of a 12 pack of Rolling Rock almost got to me :D

We use blackberry brandy while ice fishing to keep us from getting sea sick :rolleyes:

Reel Lady,

All you can do is try all of the various methods and medicines and hope that one works for you. We used to take 50-80 customers fishing on Erie on a 27 ft Sportcraft back in the days of casting the western basin. We took trips every Wednesday and Saturday. We got to see all levels of sea sickness and many of the remedies. Some people are lucky and some aren't. Don't give up until you've tried them all. The Erie fishery is as good as it gets, find a way to be able to fish it.

Most people seem to do a little better as they increase the frequency of trips on Erie.

Good luck,
    Kim

10. Reel Lady

LOL... if I did that I would be puking BEFORE I even got on the boat! :eek:

11. CLappert

CLappert Gander Mtn./OBFN

I have not used the elec. ones but I did try the wrist bands wth the pressure point and they seem to work real good and I did not have to deal with the drammine hang over if you have ever taken it you now what I mean. the wrist bands were 10 -12 bucks at Rite-Aide

12. If you pay $100 for the bracelets then you are being overcharged by a factor of six! :eek: Check the local drug stores and they are $12 to $18. Wormdunker69 bought a set for his son Chummer and they seemed to work just fine. :) You should first get out on Erie without the extras and see if you do get sick. All you should take is a bucket to keep the plush carpeting in the Ranger clean (if needed). :rolleyes:

13. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

limburger,onion,cheese and mustard sandwiches!!!!! just kidding!
    i'm one of the lucky ones(knock on wood!)who just doesn't get sick.but i've seen alot of people in my brothers boat on erie get sea sick and i honestly felt sorry for them.i do have one funny story about a friend getting sick but i don't think it'd go well on this forum. :)
    i wouldn't wish it on anyone.try the different remedies and see what works for you.
    after a long day on erie you'll still be swaying in the shower later on!

14. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

I've read that the Captain of the ship/boat rarely if ever gets seasick. This is the result of he/she being preoccupied with operating the vessel as well as having visual contact with the horizon and in some cases with land. As was mentioned in other post, seasickness (a form of vertigo) is a mental thing that is brought on by mixed signals from sensors in the body. Consequently, by operating a vessel your focus is on the task at hand and interrupts the signal that causes the motion sickness. This is also the logic behind the paper bag under the shirt concept.
    So, if you're the operator, you shouldn't have a problem. :D

15. I have heard this twice. Once from my borther-in-law in VA Beach, and the other from, oh somewhere. Clay, my bro-in-law is a huge saltwater fishermen and he claims if you eat gingerbread cookies or something like that it should ease any sea sickness. I've been out 55 miles in the Atlantic Ocean fishing for black sea bass, and I didn't get sick. But it is true to focus on the horizon not your feet. Your mind needs a flatline to focus on to maintain some equilibrium. And the horizon, however far it is away from you, will still look straight to your mind's eye.

Eric

16. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

Don't waste your money on the electric bracelet. If you are prone to seasickness then don't mess around... get the patch that goes behind your ear from your doctor. Although it doesn't have any side effects, there's a reason it's prescription only! ;-)

It works.

Juls

17. running a boat on lake erie myself, one of the sure fire ways to determine is you are prone to sea-sickness is to simply see if the individual can read in a car while it is moving.. in the last 18 years of fishing the greatlakes and atlantic, it seems to root out the potential pukers so they know if some kind of preventitive action needs to be done. and i do carry a set of wristbands for my "suprise" customers that find themselves uneasy, and they say they are effective (for about 10 bucks)

18. Reel Lady

First off... Thanks for all of your suggestions :)
    Here is my situation... it seems that the older I get, the more prone I am to getting motion sickness. When I was younger, I would ride every ride imaginable, and the more dizzy it made me, the better! That's definitely not the story anymore :( That makes me so sad because I love amusement park rides, but unfortunately pay the price :eek: I've tried the pressure point wrist bands with Zero success, I've used dramamine (the regular and the non drowsy formula). I just can't deal with how that stuff makes me feel. Believe it or not, last time I went to Cedar Point and took the so called "non drowsy" version, I ended up falling asleep for 2 hours on the grass right outside the theater! When I say that that stuff literally knocks me out, trust me, I'm not exaggerating!
    Anyway, someone at the boat show told me that this little bracelet that sends the electrical impulses was an absolute life saver for him. It definitely has me curious.
    Juls, about the patch.. do you know of any potential side affects? I just cant stand the feeling like my body and my brain are two seperate entities :eek: And thats exactly how any over the counter motion sickness meds make me feel.
    thanks again...
    Marcia

19. Juls

Juls Charter Captain

None that I know of, but you should really talk to your doctor about it. Having a large family like you do, I'm sure you have a good relationship with your GP. He/She will be able to tell you what is best for you.

I wish I could find that spray that was mentioned earlier. I've used that before and it works like a charm. I just don't know where to get it. I only need it when I'm on big boats with cabins. As soon as I step inside the cabin I'm a goner! I take that back...I also got woozy at the last RCL here last Spring. lol

Juls