close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Duck Enemy #1

Ive noticed a few moths hanging out in my trophy room. They are small and Cream colored and look like mount munchers. Short of bugbombing the room or using those nasty smelling moth balls, what can I do to protect my mounts????

2. Bag them and bomb them ASAP! Keep them in there a week and them bomb them again. I'd bomb the room too if at all possible.

3. Scaupstopper

I can seal off the room and bomb it. What should I use? What do I have to do afterwards to the room to make it inhabitable?

All I have in there thats fleshy is a turkey, an antelope, a whitetail and a steelhead.

Is it likely from the newer mounts, older mounts or do the moths find them? My antelope has only been here a week.

If they did come in without one of the mounts, is there anything I can do to keep them off in the future?

4. It can be really tough to determine where they came from, but it is important. A normal, well prepared mount won't attact them, but they will eat even the very best mount once they find it. They will even eat horn at times, since it's protein. Look the mounts over well and see if you can find any small hulls that look sort of like puffed rice. Those are egg casings, and that area could be where the infestation started. Any source of protein could cause the initial attraction, but it's usually too much meat left on something. A can of Raid bomb or something similar will do the trick, but it won't kill the eggs. That's the reason for leaving them in the bags and treating a week or so later, to kill hatchlings. The can should give directions for cleaing out the room afterward.
    The only way to prevent future problems is to treat the mounts occasionally, maybe a couple times a year. There is no longer a permanent bug proofing agent available to the public, or to taxidermists. If you do determine that one of your mounts caused it, it may be wise to dispose of it. It may not be the mounts at all, but it's quite possible.

5. Do you have a picture of these moths? I have never had any issue with them but I am interested to know what they look like and hopefully be able to recognize them.

6. There's a large variety of dermestids, both moths and beetles. I'm afraid a picture of one may cause someone to overlook another. The primary things to look out for are droppings and empty shell casings on or under mounts. On mounts with hair or fur, also look for loose hair that appears to have been cut near the roots. It's a good idea to treat all mounts once or twice a year to prevent problems. Dermestids can ruin a batch of mounts in a hurry. There is only one business that I'm aware of that specializes in treating trophy collections. He has access to chemicals that we don't, and it's by far the best way to go. Treating the mounts isn't too expensive, but shipping can cost more than it's worth.

7. I see. So I guess the rule of thumb on it is that suspect any moths as a possibility and check closely. I have heard of damage caused by moths but quite honestly have never gave it much thought. I only have a couple of items in the house but that is still too many to lose. Thanks for the heads up.

8. Scaupstopper

So are you suggesting large garbage bags and a bug bomb? Im not sure I can find bags big enough. It would be easier to seal the room and bomb it. The room is only 15 x15.

9. Usually, the extra large lawn/leaf bags will work. It' best to bag them if possible, as it seals in the poison and doesn't let anything escape.

10. Scaupstopper

OK, Ill do it tonight. Thanks for your help.

Do I want to use one bomb for every bag? Will it hurt the mount?

11. I don't think you'll need an entire can per bag. The can should say how much coverage one can will do, usually one small room. The bags are quite small when compared to a room, so I would think you could get at least 3-4 bags with one can.