Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been getting a lot of moths around my house. Some are huge like 6 inch wing span, and small ones too. Is this a rare thing?

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's a Cecropia moth. They only last a few days, long enough to mate.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Don't quote me on this .. but I read an article recently that said these moths are very bad for Ohio.

We are supposed to kill them ? ?

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Not trying to be contrary, but this is a Polyphemus moth and they are generally not considered pest because they do not tend to mass in one area. Once in the moth stage it no longer eats, so if you were not seeing defoliage from earlier catepillar stage, you should have nothing to worry about. Below is a link for more info.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3290

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for the info I liked that site. I was going to just take pic and keep record of he different ones know I can put name with them.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I am a novice at identification but based on the online pictures I believe Sconner nailed the identification. A good resource for identifying bugs is the Bug Guide.

Don't quote me on this .. but I read an article recently that said these moths are very bad for Ohio.

We are supposed to kill them ? ?
I believe what you are referring to is the Gypsy Moth and they are a bit different in appearance. That was my first thought as well but again after looking at the Bug Guide I say it is not. Here is a picture of the Gypsy Moth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts