close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moth question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tubuzz2, Jun 28, 2007.

1. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

I been getting a lot of moths around my house. Some are huge like 6 inch wing span, and small ones too. Is this a rare thing?
    [​IMG]

2. I'd worry if you were close to the Ohio River and Mothman country :)

3. That's a Cecropia moth. They only last a few days, long enough to mate.

4. Don't quote me on this .. but I read an article recently that said these moths are very bad for Ohio.

We are supposed to kill them ? ?

5. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Not trying to be contrary, but this is a Polyphemus moth and they are generally not considered pest because they do not tend to mass in one area. Once in the moth stage it no longer eats, so if you were not seeing defoliage from earlier catepillar stage, you should have nothing to worry about. Below is a link for more info.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=3290

6. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Hey thanks for the info I liked that site. I was going to just take pic and keep record of he different ones know I can put name with them.

7. I am a novice at identification but based on the online pictures I believe Sconner nailed the identification. A good resource for identifying bugs is the Bug Guide.

I believe what you are referring to is the Gypsy Moth and they are a bit different in appearance. That was my first thought as well but again after looking at the Bug Guide I say it is not. Here is a picture of the Gypsy Moth.

[​IMG]