Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still looking for the 10 pound northern, notice i said "still". fished walnut run and got 1 small crappie on a white rooster tail. went to the state park and hit several bays and the rocks by the ramps got 1 small bass on the same rooster tail. no pike today. several bass boats out there. pre fishing maybe?

i saw a maroon ford ranger in the boat trailer parking lot (with a trailer hooked up) with an OGF sticker on the rear window..who are you??

on a positive, i saw a dude with his boy out picking up trash over by the bait shop parking lot. it actually wasn't that bad. i stopped by and told him thanks and i appreciated what he was doing. he was pretty humble and kept on truckin'

time to get the boat out...............

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i was a skeeter to day to in a blue van and seen a small red truck with a ogf sticker on it with a skeeter trailer behind it was that you i got one blue gell will walleye fishing it was about 5-6 inchs

·
Buckeye-Basser
1,590 Posts
That was my Ranger truck. A bunch of small bites here. None over 12". I watched one guy pull out about ten bass and every one was under 12" for him also.

I talked with a guy who had the most beautiful old boat Id ever seen. It was a 1987 Ranger bass boat. It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
glad to hear I wasn't the only one not catching fish on saturday

I fished the whole southern half of that lake saturday.........one small crappie, and 1 small bass.......and I caught him trolling for eyes in the stumps..

I was there from 7 til 12 or so...

DID ANYBODY SEE THE FLATHEAD COME OUT AT THE CAUSEWAY?

as I was driving out, I drove by the causeway store....2 guys were carrying what looked to be a 50-60 pound flathead up to the store.........

·
Registered
77 Posts
saturday was hard fishing... we didn't pick up anything. was out from 9:30 to 2:00.. we weren't marking any fish either... just have to wait and see if they turn on with the warmer weather...:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was another one out there Saturday not catching anything. The flathead weighed 41 lbs. I talked to the son of the guy who caught it and his son when they were pulling out. Caught it trolling a hot-n-tot. WOW.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what do you do with a fish that big?? can't eat it, can you?

might want to give up on skeeter for a couple of days. there were 2 to 3 footers rolling down the lake and it looks like chocolate milk.:( the spillway is flooded, looks like the gates are pretty wide open. i just took a drive out there thinking of maybe trying to sneek in a few cast off the rocks in the state park..not happening either. maybe the wind will die down tomorrow and the bays will be fishable??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Seems like the guys from W. Pa & W. Ny N.E.W.C. had a decent day (catching fish) even though they got beat by a local team.
Abernathy and Marcini take top honors.

With steady winds of 25 mph in the morning, and afternoon winds of 30 -35 mph,along with 5 - 6 ft waves, fishing was to say the least a challenge. Approximately 45 teams from the two circuits braved the weather at the start, but by mid morning only 1/2 the field remained on the water, braving the cold and wind.

Director, Tom Means said that this would definetely be a test of ones ability to change techniques with the conditiions, and that trolling would most likely be the technique that wins this event.

Being the only team that signed up for both circuits, the local team of Ken Abernathy and Nathan Marcini showed they were up to the challenge that mother nature threw at them, with an impresive basket of 5 fish weighing a hair under 11 pounds, and claiming the victory for both events.

Big fish honors went to the team of Russ Liddiard and Tom Monica from Weedsport and Bridgeport N.Y., with a hefty 5.38 pounder.

Rounding out the top 5 N.E.W.C. teams are the following.
2nd place Chuck Sabatose and Rich Fike
3rd place Russ Liddiard and Tom Monica
4th place Mark Fike and Miles Pryce
5th place Larry Johnson and Jason Lawrence

Even with the bad conditions and tuff bite, we are all looking forward to coming back next year.

I would like to thank the following sponsors for the event, Case Cutlery, Off Shore Tackle, Reef Runner Tackle, Causeway Sporting Goods, Lake side tackle, Days Inn, Road house Restaraunt.

A special thank you to our event sponsors, Steel Valley Tackle, and Mosquito Lake Marina.

·
Registered
169 Posts
man...............41 pounds....I misjudged it at 45 miles an hour by only 9 pounds......:D

funny thing is I was trolling hot-n-tots and wiggle warts too..........

could have gotten lucky I guess.......

that thing was huge..........would have been a fun fight....I caught a 29 pounder on light gear years ago and it was still the best fight and most fun I have ever had with a single fish..........

I hope he released it....you couldn't eat that....a fish that old has got to be bogus table fare.........

and it was an ugly mount for sure!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Two years ago I caught a 46 pounder on the North end trolling a hot-n-tot on 10lb. test. My arms were sore after about a 15 minute battle. The catfish also stunk up my net and boat. I got another one around 40 lbs. last year, but after learning my lesson I used my pliers at boatside and popped my tot out.
Not trying to put a bounty on big catfish, but how many walleye do you guys think a fish that size eats in a year?

·
Registered
81 Posts
He took it to the bait shop, had it weighed, snapped a photo and then put it back. Ironic...my first thought was how many walleye can that thing eat? It's head was as big as a basketball ! It could fit a dozen 14"ers in it's mouth at once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts