Mosquito Sunday?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by Full_Choke, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Anyone going Sunday?
    Planning on Causeway bait shop around 6:30 Am.
    Home made shanty with blue tarp. North of the first pack depending on what we get.
    Lost alot of fish today! Dull hooks and not heavy enough line?
    Steve

2. Im right behind ya!:p

3. Woke up late with "Bucket back "!
    Water by 7:30?
    Steve

Please check PM's

4. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

well i only got a few feesh today.. it was nice meetin ya full choke. also met bill fish...thinkin about packin it up till next year.. been going out everyday just about since x mas that walk out is gettin to me.. today i rode the bike out with shanty in tow....

5. I was out today and had a lot of fun as usual. Slow pick, ended up with 4 crappie and one nice eye, lost an eye at the hole too. Nice meeting you Full Choke - we saw each other at the end of the night at the parking lot.

Hey Fishmaster - we didn't meet but I saw you! I got out early afternoon today and I was walking out while you were riding in...I looked up and said 'that's awesome' and you replied 'better than walking'...sure looked like it! Pretty cool idea towing your gear with the bike...although the gear looked very light.

6. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Headin' out this morning. Should be at Causeway by 9:30 or so.

7. are people getting back out be the island or are they still walking out by lindas?

8. A few went out to the island today but we are unsure of the ice conditions up there. They are still walking out here, most of them going in between the island and the causeway.

We have a pic of Pruski's walleye, caught right by the island on the "Causeway Bait & Tackle" thread :)

-Sarah

9. can someone give me directions to the bait shop from cleveland

10. leadcorebean

leadcorebean Charter Captain

best way i can tell u is 480 e to 422 e take rt 528 n about 2 miles merge right on 88 e and that will take right to the causeway

11. Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  12. found the causeway website after i posted mabey be going today or tomarrow

13. leadcorebean

leadcorebean Charter Captain

i thought about 1 last trip tomorrow myself anyone else plan on going ?

14. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Was there today. Didn't catch a lot of keepers, only 3 crappies, but caught 15 fish. Ice is still very good at over 7 inches. Lots of snow drifts tho. Wind was terrible today.

15. Wannabitawerm

Sorry I missed you chaunc. Ended with a small eye, 1 perch, several nice crappie and a gill. Threw quite a few back. Minnows and waxworms on Genz glow bugs worked for me. Keep it moving up, they were following it. fished north of the first point about 1/3 across in 13 fow. Gonna try for 1 more trip this week.

16. walleyewonder

walleyewonder Fishing vs catching

How was the ice out there? Any weak spots as you walked out?

Thanks

17. Wannabitawerm

no weak spots I could see. Ice is pretty consistent. Steer clear of the bridge and stay north and you should be fine.

18. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

sorry about that if i would of known that u where a member i would of stoped and met with ya..i try to travel light as i can..sure beats walking 20 min to get to your spot. not enuf hours in the day to do all that walking. i think next year i wont be the only one on the ice on a bike.lol as long as theres a little bit of snow on the ice it isnt bad to ride a bike.

19. I was out pretty early yesterday (for me anyway), on the ice and set up around 8..was glad to get the call from wannabitawerm that he was heading out, always nice to have friends out there. Didn't realize you were out there chaunc, would have been nice to say hello, as well as fishmaster.

To anyone trying to get there from the west, see leadcorebean's directions below, they are about as simple and direct as they get.

I didn't see any weak spots either, aside from the slight amount of slush right at shore that's been there, which seems to be hardening up after the last few days. The open water near the bridge, particularly on the south side is getting considerably larger by the day. Open water is castable (not sure if that would produce) from the parking area on the northeast side of the bridge.

Yesterday was definitely windy, although a solid ice pack around the edge of the shanty and I had no issues. I ended up getting 7 keeper crappie and a ton of throwbacks, using minnows and a variety of options on my one deadstick and one jigging rod. Lost a walleye at the hole and said some choice words. No flags on the two tip ups all day, nor had I ever caught anything on the tip ups since I bought them. So at the end of the day I was packing up to leave, went to go get my tip ups to put them away, and despite no flag (frozen!) on the end of one tipup was a 15" eye! :) I was happy with a fun day on the ice (gave my crappies to wannabitawerm, I'm not a big fan of eating them) despite getting skunked as far as eyes/perch go, and then what a bonus/turnaround right when I was leaving. Ya never know....love this game!

20. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I think i'm getting an OGF flag next season. I have a fishtrap pro but so does a lot of other guys that fish there. Cant say... stop by the FTP and say hi.:) Maybe i'll bring a radio and listen to some loud music..... Oh hell no!!!!! :p I hope to get out again thursday. Maybe i'll get another chance to meet some of the OGF crew then.
    Hey Fishmaster, maybe i'll get a three wheeled bike to pull my stuff out next season too.:D Old folks, you know.