Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to bait shop owner at one stop fishing shop at ladue and he had some depressing news. He said that yesterday he had a conversation with the ODNR who did the netting over at Mosquito and they believe that the spawn is over! Netted 2,000 walleye one day and 8 the next. They believe that the spawn was happening under the ice and that the extended daylight got them going, not the water temp. I dont know if any of this is true but just wanted to share.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fish don't have clocks, so the change is daylight savings time would have no effect on them. The amount of daylight is the same as always, it just occurs at different times. :confused:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Might change from year to year. How long has it been since Skeeter had 12in of ice. 3-4 years. Also if this is true youll be able to see the small fry from the non-netted fish in a month or so. Just my 6 sense!:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's an answer for those who had a question on the daylight ...

The Earth has an axial tilt of about 23° 27’. The axis is tilted in the same direction throughout a year; however, as the Earth orbits the Sun, the hemisphere (half part of earth) tilted away from the Sun will gradually come to be tilted towards the Sun, and vice versa. This effect is the main cause of the seasons (see effect of sun angle on climate). Whichever hemisphere is currently tilted toward the Sun experiences more hours of sunlight each day, and the sunlight at midday also strikes the ground at an angle nearer the vertical and thus delivers more heat.

Good old wikipedia :D

·
multi species angler
4,365 Posts
I do believe that because the ice left and the water warmed so fast that it was a fast spawn. Just like extended cold weather will slow or delay the spawn, very fast warming water will rush the spawn. I was at skeeter a couple weeks ago and the water was in the low 50's already.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They netted that lake for a week and 1/2 in 3 different places and the nets were loaded everytime they pulled them. They would have liked to put the nets in earlier but due to the ice it was impossible this year.
Far as fry being seen in the months ahead that is hardly unlikely since there is no natural walleye reproduction in Mosquito.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,956 Posts
i was out at the boat ramps talking with the odnr on tuesday and thursday when they were milking the walleyes and they were loaded with fish both times? dont believe everything you hear.:D well except this of course hahaha..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
No Slack has it correct. I fished three mornings when they were stripping eggs at the ramp. It is interesting to see and they like to have the public see what they are doing. They had a rainbow trout on Monday, a Musky on Tuesday ,I think it was. Yes, there is no, or very little Walleye natural reproduction in Mosquito.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yes, at Mosquito. They had the trout in the tank, they released the Muskie at the net. It was in the paper last year, or the year before, a pirranha was caught by an angler. You never know what someone may throw in there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As Luredaddy says- there is little or no walleye reproduction at Mosquito- and not just because of a lack of spawning habitat. I once observed walleye spawning when I was fishing along a rip rap shoreline at Lake Milton. As soon as the eggs settled, the area was covered with carp sucking those eggs out of every nook and cranny between the rocks. No doubt this happens at Mosquito. Many younger fisherman probably don't even know carp are introduced and are probably the most devastating of all introduced aquatic species. I read that the bays and estuaries of western Lake Erie were once gin clear and covered with wild rice and other native aquatic veggies. I have also read that walleye will spawn under ice when it lingers into the spring.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Extended daylight? Please explain...
Photoperiodism! All lliving creatures are affected by this. It is basically the length of daylight each day (and amount of moonlight). Fish are cold blooded, and their metabolism is determined by the water temp., oxygen content, etc, however; it is likely that they are also influenced greatly by the change in daylight and mother nature was telling the fish it was time to do the deed! So, as soon as the water started to warm, they got after it. They were sensing- instinctively- that spring was here. It is just another way mother nature takes care of things. As we all know, the weather could warm very quickly around here in mid-April/May and the window for the spawn can be very small.

Deer/Elk, etc are more affected by photoperiodism when rutting than the weather. The peaks are based around lessening daylight and moon phases. The weather also is a factor, however, it has more to due with the intensity of their behavior than when the breeding occurs.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hard to beleive so many fish can spawn and not reproduce. If there is I would like to know the difference between Skeeter and WB. One would think the eyes would spawn naturally enless altered. I can beleive the carp thing too. They mow down the shad. Expecially in open water after spawn.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Thank you purefishin and elkhtr for the very informative posts. LaDobasser, you read my mind. I was just trying to be polite :eek:.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Still a shallow lake would have some rock in it which there is but covered in mussels have the time. I only seen a couple humps on the dam end. Would think Berlin would be the lake for spawning with all the rocks. Glad I got you guys to keep me staight!!!!!!!:B

G

·
pymatuning has little natural reproduction also. as for the length of daylight, i have to agree. i have waded the walleye run at pymatuning since the 70s and it always seemed to peak during the second week in april.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I thought tonight was going to be great.Only got 2 in four hours at Pymy.But one thing I will tell you is they are still firm.Both males I caught tonight did not look like they were going to spawn for a few weeks yet.Hopefully we will get some better weather soon.
Rapman is right,at pymatuning peak spawn is almost always mid April.But I really think that it will be a week later this year.
Anyone hear of any muskie caught yet.Last year it seemed every night someone hooked up.And I myself had hooked 3 by this time last year.Oh yeah, I heard there was a hot bite today on the causeway at 3 in the afternoon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts