Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Mosquito Sunday. Fished North end from 6am - 10am for walleye and got 3 crappie. Couldnt buy a bite. Moved a bit south for a few more hours and caught a nice 30 inch Northern on a floating jig head with minnow. Thought it was a large walleye but still fun to catch. Got some sunburn which actually feels good. Beautiful day but couldnt get a bite.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
well I hope you had a good time ,my trucks in the shop 2005 14k and the injectors are bad . says the dealership . no tow car so I:M on hold . coulda been there today ,

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MEISTERICS, never caught a large Northern before, only smaller ones. Was using a walleye presentation so hoped it was a walleye. Pulled out quite a bit of drag when got close to the boat but until then it was lethargic.

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
i was at skeeter on sunday also and didnt get any eyes but did get 2 crappies and a nice sized bluegill. sure was alot of people out there. not sure if there was a bass tourney there sunday or not. was a lot of bass boats out. and also want to add something to the 2 guys that was in a ranger bass boat with some blue trim, at around 2 pm that was fishing the rt 88 bridge. the front guy had a yellow hat on and a shirt that looked like it had a bass on the back. how about next time go ahead and throw ur jig into the back of my boat next time since u was only 1 foot away from the back of my boat when u casted on the otherside of the cement piller that is holding up the bridge

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Num1fire, didn't you know that when there is a bass tournament on a given lake said bass fishing idiots own that lake for that period of time. They are exempt from all rules of safety and etiquette.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THere were 5 bass tournaments at Mosquito this past weekend 3 of those being on Sunday. I was fishing around the area you are referring to and also saw that boat but just as discourteous as that was, I was idleing under the bridge and had a couple of fisherman pass us under the bridge going really fast and kicked up all kinds of wake for us and all of those fishing around the bridge. I truly dont know what people are thinking sometimes. It is clearly marked around the bridge as no wake/ idle speed. I was not in the bass tournament but the lake was mayhem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
THere were 5 bass tournaments at Mosquito this past weekend 3 of those being on Sunday. I was fishing around the area you are referring to and also saw that boat but just as discourteous as that was, I was idleing under the bridge and had a couple of fisherman pass us under the bridge going really fast and kicked up all kinds of wake for us and all of those fishing around the bridge. I truly dont know what people are thinking sometimes. It is clearly marked around the bridge as no wake/ idle speed. I was not in the bass tournament but the lake was mayhem.
Only if the DOW,ODNR was there for the citations. . . . .

·
Just Hangin' Around
164 Posts
Please......An A-hole is a A-hole no matter what kind of fish he is fishing for!!

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
marshal45 was u in the bass boat by your self that said to some other guys that u only caught a little one? i was in the cream color looking 14 ft boat that was on the out side of the cement pillar. u guys are right there are alot of idiots and a holes out when there is a tourny going on and sometimes when there isnt a tourny going on, its almost like lake erie some people think they own that lake . ackracing i dont think that they was trying to say that all of the guys that fish tournys are like that

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NUM1FIRE, that wasnt me. I was fishing with a friend in a Deep V Crestliner. Dont do a whole lot of bass fishing so I stick to the Deep Vs.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
I know all you bass guys are not all bad. But here is my story. We were heading back to the state park ramp at 4 and there were two guys in a bass boat that were fishing right in the middle of the opening of the break wall. As we passed them, one guy was casting right under our boat and I heard him make a snotty remark as we passed. Naturally I wasn't going to let him have the last word lol. I guess he expected everyone to wait until he was done fishing that spot.

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
Why dont you guys take your cameras with you and when you run into the (rude) guys, snap a picture of them and post it in a topic like" look out for these guys " :D Doesn't have to be bass guys either.;)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Great idea Chaunc. If nothing else it would provide some laughs. Last year Jig and I were slow trolling around the edge of a pack of boats eye fishing. A bass tourney let loose and here they come. Several of them screamed right through the pack within 10' of some of the boats and they hardly even slowed down. I couldn't believe it. Now as for the regular idiots, just one of many stories from WB last year. Jig is reeling in a fish coming off a board when this guy runs right across the back of our boat. He cuts off the fish and board then catches my line and spools me. To top it off I had a three way with two cranks on my line. That was $15 worth of braid and another $15 in cranks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A few years ago I took my daughter out on Mosquito and had the start of a bass tourney go past in thick fog!

You would have thought that the conditions would have slowed them down, but I'd say that at least a dozen boats flew past at speeds around 50mph.

Hearing them fly past without being able to see each other was unnerving to say the least.

I've got nothing against tournaments. I've fished in a few myself and really enjoyed the competition.

The guys involved in these need to realize that no tournament is worth the risks they're taking.

I've been getting a few walleye on jigs and minnows wading in the evening at Mosquito. Overall though though it's been slow. I think that a few weeks in a row of normal weather will change everything.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
I have had this problem at Berlin. Every time we get there early to try and get some walleye off the shallow humps in front of the Army corp ramp, the armada of bass boats rolls through turning up the water and kills the shallow bite. You can here them coming like a NASCAR race, and they don't slow down or go around you they just keep it floored and just about run you over. I know that they are exited and want to get to there spot before everyone else but they need to use their heads on the water. I know that they wouldn’t appreciate me running right up on them. I have also had the problem at Mosquito with people fishing the opening to the State Park Ramp. They should expect boat traffic and should not get upset when you go by trying to leave the lake.

·
Registered
428 Posts
do what i do. when they come by at 60 mph. off my bow, i just smile and wait for them to set up in a bay or where ever. i start my 25 hp and cruisewide open off there bow in a bay. let me tell you it gets there attention real quick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts