Mosquito or Pymatuning

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by cpr, Jun 14, 2008.

1. cpr

cpr

Now that they have changed it to 20 hp at pym i want to know if it's any better for crappi and eye . I have never fished at pym and my son would like to catch some . Hows the perch fishing all so . Thanks

2. well the crappie is excellent and they are still plentifull averaging 9-11in. But as far as the eyes go i think this year is a LITTLE better than past years but still its not worth it. The good news is there is some good bass. The perch are small but extremely plentifull like if u get on a school u can catch 50 but only about 10-15 is big enough to eat.

3. So is it official now that the lake is 20hp...

4. Here is an newspaper article with the link.

http://www.starbeacon.com/local/local_story_167002734.html

Published June 15, 2008 12:27 am - ANDOVER — More powerful motors on Pymatuning Lake, approved Thursday by Gov. Ted Strickland, will mean safer boating for visitors, officials said.

Pymatuning Lake now allows more horsepower
    Bigger engines should make boats more manageable and safer

By MARK TODD - Staff Writer - mtodd@starbeacon.com
    Star Beacon

ANDOVER — More powerful motors on Pymatuning Lake, approved Thursday by Gov. Ted Strickland, will mean safer boating for visitors, officials said.

The watercraft safety bill signed by Strickland contains a provision that boosts the power limits allowed on the man-made lake from 9.9 to 20 horsepower, according to reports. The new regulation takes effect immediately, State Rep. Deborah Newcomb, D-Conneaut, said in a statement.

“I am delighted this passed in time for the 2008 boating season,” Newcomb said.

The change now sets a uniform horsepower limit for the entire lake. Pennsylvania approved the 20-horsepower level in 2004.

The result will be a safer season on the lake for boaters, said Bill Ray, assistant manager at Pymatuning Lake State Park. The 9.9-horsepower engine limit was too weak for some bigger vessels, especially pontoon boats, he said. Bigger engines will make those boats more manageable, Ray said.

“It gives boats better control,” he said.

More powerful engines will allow boaters to seek shelter more quickly when storms blow up, proponents have said.

The move could also entice more boat traffic on the lake. “With larger motors allowed, more (boaters) may stop rather than move on,” Ray said.

Some organizations were worried the bill would eventually open the door to boats will monster engines. That will not be the case, Newcomb told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last month.

“There were concerns about (preserving) the tranquility of the lake,” she told the newspaper. “Groups...were concerned this would turn into unlimited horsepower. We’ve assured them it won’t, and there’s been a change in attitude.”

The bill makes sense, Newcomb said in a statement.

“Raising the horsepower on Pymatuning Lake will increase boater safety while simultaneously enhancing enforcement by state watercraft officers,” she said. “This is also a boon to local tourism because the law welcomes boats with higher horsepower from Ohio and Pennsylvania.”

Ray said the park is grateful to Newcomb for her effort. “She spearheaded the change,” he said.

5. Camped this weekend with the family, caught 6 crappie from shore 2 of them Fish Ohio (the 13.25 incher my 4 year old reeled in!) also, saw a girl this morning pull at least a 14" Fish Ohio Perch, it was the biggest perch I have ever seen. As far as the lake, I had reports that the water on the North end is VERY CHOPPY with the new HP out there!

Good Luck
    :B

6. cpr

cpr

thanks for the info . I can't wait till next week

7. The bluegills are on the beds and action is HOT !!! Pretty good size, wonder if this is happening anywhere else?
    ________
    SUZUKI SATRIA SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  8. cpr

cpr

Is the perch and crappie good most of the year ? Everything i read has it that the eye have been a little slow . I will be happy to catch perch and crappie all year

9. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

Just what Ohio and PA needs more people that don't know how to drive boats. "Lets give them a bigger motor" I will be going out this weekend with my 9.9;) . Oh well a couple more donkeys on the water. They still need to learn HOW to catch the fish first.

10. Hey Flyer! I guess you own the lake???? What's the matter more people gonna catch all your precious little 10in bass? Waa Waaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Remember.... ALL others are just bait!

11. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

still upset that you claim to be a musky fisherman but all I see you catch is Ohio Redfish (aka SHEEPHEAD)

NOTE TO MEMBERS:

If you see a camo Lund in NE Ohio try to sink it the guy that owns it is a jerk.

And further more some of the "bait" that I catch willl eat your precious 12" Musky, Jim.

by the way GOOD LUCK tonight...YOU will need it!!!!!:S :S :S

12. Are you guys serious?

13. he's a $ss clown fisherman- I mean bass fisherman :).
    Ever since I took him to St. Clair and we slaughtered those BAITFISH he thinks he knows everything....
    Hey woodpecker- my baits start at 12 inch long!!! EEEEEEAAAAAWWWWWWWW!

14. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

Please sink the boat!!!

Yes he BROUGHT me to Lake St.Clair but when we were there I schooled him on the bass fishing. All of this was after the lesson during the spring on "How to: Land Steelhead via a fly rod"

I added a new signature for my friend MuskyGirl35

15. must be an inside joke lol ;) keep it goin boys!

16. awwwww, Flyer's just upset that he's landlocked worse then a sockeye salmon in July.. When I was a young lad like him I was catching all those Bigmouth BAITfish with my eyes closed. Truth is, I got bored with em and have moved on to something with a little more sac. Skii fisherman have got nerves of steel, patience of a fatherless mother of 6 and fortitude of a billy goat... or is it insanity!!?
    Flyer once told me that it would take me 2 years to catch a skii at his precious Bigmouth BAITfish lake called PymaGLOOMing- The way last night went- it may take the rest of my life! I will give Flyer some credit for one thing.... he sure can snag those Steelhead! :)

Rodney King said it best: "Can't we all just GET A BOAT!?"

17. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

It is not that I think that MuskyGirl35 can't catch Musky. I know he can't.:p
    If someone says that LM/SM don't get them excited why do they take pictures of BAIT(1st pic). Let this picture stand as proof that MM35 is full of $hit to his eyballs. Also I attached one of momas that I had caught(2nd pic).

(For arguments sake I am the good looking guy in the green-grey rain jacket. I won't post a pic of MM35. Children do visit this site.)

Attached Files:

18. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

OGF pic posting pulled a switcheroni on me!!

19. haha this is hillarious. but it took u 2 years to land a muskie at a great lake like pymie!!!LOL JK it is tough to get that first one, and great job on those bass