close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito Lake

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Reel Lady, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Reel Man and I went to Mosquito Lake a couple of nights ago, and then again last night. We had some luck fishing right along the causeway, and got a few decent size bass. Last night because of the wind and waves, I suggested to Rob that we fish on the other side of the causeway. But, when we got up to the point that we could go under the bridge, there was barely, and I do mean barely enough clearance for us to get through. We would have had to take our Anchor light down to get through. Is it always this tight to get under there??? It was pretty intimidating being that it was night, it was very windy, and the waves had small white caps on them :eek:
    I'm hoping that the water level was just higher than normal, and that one day, we can safely pass under this bridge to get to the other side.
    Another thing.. we learned why they call this lake "Mosquito Lake". All I can say is dont forget to bring the bug spray.. and dont forget to bring some towels to wipe down your boat when you get out of the water...We must have had a million half dead, half alive mosquitos glued to our boat (inside and out)! ICKKKKK!
    And it probably wouldnt hurt to mention that I may have ingested a bug or two throughout the course of the evening.... DOUBLE ICCCCKKKKKKKKK! PHOOOEY!

Reel Lady (Marcia)

2. Always have a "wash" available...

That is a tuff lake to figure out...
    I've always had good luck fishing the wood south or the causway and deeper water near the dam...

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

the causeway underpass isn't always that hard to get under. the water must be up pretty high.

flash---------------------------------out

4. Actually I didn't think the water is up at all. It's at normal levels for this time of year UNLESS it's changed in the past 2 weeks since I've been there? It's always a little tight under that bridge depending on your boat. I've been there when the waves were a rockin and had to take my front seat off to get under the bridge in the spring. The other side of the causeway is a little shallower in spots be careful.

Good job on those bass! Where are the pics? ;)

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

It seems like early in the spring, the water is down. we can usually anchor up under the bridge when walleye fishing.

6. Reel Lady

Holy Moly Bill! You are one fiercely determined fisherman! I know, I know....we would do just about anything to reach that perfect spot! It's a sickness :D
    Hmm.. where are those pictures of the bass we caught? Probably in the same place that the picture of the Muskie that you caught at West Branch is.... :D
    But... if it was a pretty fish.... a real pretty fish.. I definitely would have taken the time to get a picture.
    So, speaking of fish, fishing, pictures.... when are we going???????? :p

7. By front seat, I meant my bike seat that I lean on when trolling around. I take that off just by unscrewing it. It's either that or let the waves bounce the seat into the top of the bridge!! We went under the bridge 2 weeks ago when we were there so I wonder, maybe the water has came up but I doubt it?

But Speaking of fiercely determined fisherman! lol, you would laugh your butt off if you would see some of the culverts (under roads) that I have squeezed my boat through to get into an area that isn't fished as much. Granted anyone with a small boat can do it, but often times people don't try, especially with a 20' boat. I've done this at Tappan and at Salt Fork and on the Ohio River when I really want to try out a couple fishing spots. I'm sure others that know those lakes well have done the same thing. Typically I have to take off my front bike seat and my 2 windshields to get through and have my motor trimmed just right.

I'm ready to go fishing tonight.

8. Reel Lady

I knew there was a reason that I liked you! I love your determination! Rob isn't quite the risk taker type, (as I am) But hey, we have a nice way of balancing eachother out. :)
    I would definitely go through the trouble of removing the seat, the windshield, and tilting the motor just right to get to that perfect spot! I view it as a challenge, where as Rob would look at that situation and say "maybe we are just not meant to go there?" :eek:
    Anyway, lol.. you're going to laugh.. I posted the stomach contents picture of the catfish that we caught. It's disgusting, thats for sure!

9. Yeah, but have you ever seen all the spiders and cobwebs underneath in those culverts! :eek: Makes you kinda shiver as your lying on your back on the deck pulling your way through the culvert knowing and seeing a bunch of webs and spiders. And what if the water rises while your on the other side???? lol, things to think about, especially at the Ohio River. I've been in Tomlinson Run and when the water came up and it was tricky to get out. Procraftboats21 probably can relate to that since he lives down that way and fishes that pool ... ?

10. Reel Lady

I dont mind snakes, I dont mind rodents, reptiles, bats, worms, leeches... BUT... when it comes to spiders...... :eek: GET ME OUT OF HERE! lol

11. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Yeah Bill it isnt easy, when the rivers up you have to have the motor just right, take all the seats down, take your windshields off, put your trolling motor all the way down and you have to lay flat on the deck! even when the rivers at normal pool the front seat will barely make it under.

12. Reel Lady

That is hysterical! What a great visual you've created :D
    Well, everything but the whole spider thing..... :eek: