Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out about 2pm today and hit walnut run in search of that 10 pound pike. casting a fire tiger thunder stick and i did manage to catch a small northern. probably 2 to 3 pounds and about 18 to 20 inches. that tells me there still in there. only fished about 30 minutes before the down pour came. going to hit it in the am looking for the gator:B

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know Walnut had at least 1 big pike in it on April 1st, 1981. My father caught the short lived state record pike on a silver sonar jigging from the bridge. I always wondered just how much bigger they get than the 44"er he caught.:)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I fished the night your Dad caught that Pike, I was about 300 yards away. If I remember correctly, it was the record for only a day or two. The biggest ever in my boat, was 40" 18 lbs., on a 1/8 ounce jig and minnow, I have a picture somewhere. It was caught drifting for Walleyes, by the island North of the state park.
John

·
Registered
199 Posts
ezbite,
I was in my small boat last year. We wee throwing small Crappie spinners. We went to all bays at mosquito, even the shallow ones. Anyways, the spinnerbait was chartreus. A friend of mine caught a 28" pike out there. That was about in July.

·
Angler For Life
149 Posts
like you EZ i myself am in search of that 10 pounder. i usually fish east branch and eldon russell park just east of ladue. where is walnut run i have heard it mentioned several time but i have no idea where it is located. i am not looking for any honey holes just directions on how to get there from the twinsburg area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Luredaddy,

Yes sir, the record lasted only a few days. Was beat by a fish from Lake of Four Seasons (not totally sure on the name). Russ Farmintino is my father who caught the fish. It sure made a pretty mount, and still has the sonar attached. I was 11 at the time and that night pretty much hooked me for life.:D

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
This one came from the NW corner south of the causeway in the cattails on a jig/twister while we were dipping for crappie. This is May 2000.

Notice it's not held three feet in front of me either. True size picture-39".

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one came from the NW corner south of the causeway in the cattails on a jig/twister while we were dipping for crappie. This is May 2000.

Notice it's not held three feet in front of me either. True size picture-39".

thats what im looking for;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
saw a few nice ones (or maybe the same one more than once) last fall/winter while duck hunting

south of the causeway, northwest bay, just below the little island or point that sticks out closest to the road....

he was back in the bay by the cattails sitting in the sun..........

I had a shotgun, not a rod

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Lewzer,
Back then we spooled our jigging rods with 6# and 8# mono, I have no idea what the poundage was. The big flatheads are more exciting when we flatline mono in about 12', trolling Hot n Tots.
John

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Nice Pike guys! I to have got alot of fish at Skeeter on tots. When those cats give a head shake man that gets the blood boilin!:D Net boy dont like them though.:eek:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
the first northen i have ever caught was out of skeeter it was like 20-25 inchs small but i was like 5-6 while fishing for walleye i dont remember what i was useing but i thing a minnow and jig right in front of the state boat lunch about 400 yards out i had a couple pike to the baut before but that lake has some big ones in it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.