close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito Lake 8-1-04

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TritonBill, Aug 1, 2004.

1. We fished at Mosquito today from 8:15am till about 3:30pm. We didn't go too far and right away caught 4 bass on Buzzbaits. It's been a while since I've fished buzzbaits so it was nice to get some on topwater!! Those 4 were between 13-15" fish. After that we moved to some rocks and much to my surprise we didn't get into them like usual. We quickly moved to the weedbeds, some of my favorite fishing in the summertime. It didn't take long and we both were catching fish in the weeds burning RatlTraps. Fishing got slow and when it did I moved to a Senko picking up a few more fish in the weeds. Back to the RatlTrap to finish out the day. We caught around 25 bass and 1, 20" Walleye. Not a bad day but no real good fish, the biggest was around 16".

I hear the night fish calling my name....I'd almost like to get out there tonight!

Time to watch the super six weighin at the classic!!

Bill

2. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Not a bad day for you Bill. Great Job!

3. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

good job Bill, glad to see the buzzers worked!

4. ..sounds like fun... been awhile since I hit there for bass

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Sounds like a good day especially with the sun and the cold front that went through.
    I have one quesntion for you. How do you burn a rattltrap through the weeds?

6. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

You just reel real fast and when it hits a weed, you rip it through to knock off the weed.

7. Just like Johnboy mentioned,

you generally reel really fast and when you feel the bait hit the weeds you rip it out...it's a very aggressive way of fishing but it works very well on lakes like Mosquito and Portage with lots of weeds. Sometimes its a bit tough depending on the thickness of the weeds and their height in the water. I prefer to fish traps in weedbeds that aren't super choked full and are a foot or two from the top of the water. I guaranteee you it will be a workout and your arms and wrists will be sore! Most people give up(quickly) in frustration after picking weeds off almost every cast.

Reeling fast as you can isn't the only way to fish like this in the weeds though. Sometimes it works well to reel slow, when you feel the bait catch in the weeds, pop the rod strongly and rip it out.

I generally find that the bite comes either as soon as the bait hits the water and starts moving(if it's near the weeds) OR as soon as it gets ripped out of the weeds, and occassionally as your burning it back. I'm always ready to get the bite as I feel the bait pop out of the or off the weeds.

I do better with this method in the summertime than any other cranking method in my boat. Just my opinion and .02

8. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Thanks for the explanation Bill and johnboy. I never used them in the weeds like that. Generally in open water or nick the submerged weedtops.

I'll have to give it a try.