close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito help, please?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sammonator, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Sammonator

Sammonator Fish when I can...

My 2 brothers and I are heading to Mosquito Res. in mid-July for some camping/fishing (We typically go in late May or early June). Because it's so much later in the season, I'm wondering if anyone could suggest the best approach to catch some walleye and/or crappie. Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help, folks...

2. TMK

TMK

Will you be shore fishing or in a boat.

Either way, you want to be on the water as early as possible to get the best bite and to avoid jet skiers + rude rec. boaters + the heat.

Weed edges 5-7ft produce eyes all summer long.

Go with jigs and minnows for crappies suspending over deep structure.

You might want to consider going after channel cats. The lake's full of them, they put up a nice fight, and will no doubt provide more consistent action than anything else mid July. They don't taste too bad either if you trim off the redish meat.

Goodluck

3. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

there also some nice flatties, i use cutbait or live gills.

4. I like trollin the bigger Hot n Tots over deeper water for eyes late summer. Good for a couple nice fish before sun rise and set.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

And dont rule out a nice quiet evening of night fishing. Might be a little cool but it will feel good after a hot steamy day. If you get there early enough, fish the causeway bridge on the s/e corner. Good chance to catch everything that swims in the lake.

6. Sammonator

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Yes, we will be in a 15' boat with a 10 H.P. motor. That sort of eliminates us going way up north, unless we trailer it up to the causeway and put it in there. Chaunc, I may take my waders along as well, and when my 2 brothers get tired I can still wade the shorelines/head up to the S.E. corner of the causeway. Again, thanks for your help!!

7. we usually do very well in the weedbeds near rt. 305 launch ramp. the best time is early morning if possible

Closing time

8. Sammonator

Hey Closing time,
    Thanks for the info...I've waded quite a bit over on that side and have never gotten skunked, so I think that's a pretty safe bet to at least start in that area! Take care-