Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help
I'm sure there is a trick to keep a minnow on a jig head longer than three casts. I watched a couple of local guys that were wading put a dozen hard casts on before the minnow was lost. What is the secrete?

·
Searchin for Skees & Eyes
1,447 Posts
I have other reasons to be frustrated...LOL spent last night in a boat on the north end and 3 of us did everything we could to get a fish in the boat... and failed.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I always put the hook thru the bottom lip and then the nostril of the top area. They stay on the hook and stay alive longer. Usually, I'm crappie fishing though, not walleye.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise, I definitely see I was not hooking the minnow the best way for multiple casts. I feel your guys frustration on getting skunked a Mosquito this weekend. I emptied my tackle box at that lake thinking something gotta work but never did. I will say this, I saw a guy wading catch the biggest walleye I have ever seen and that motivated us for a few more hours. Had to be close to 30"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advise, I definitely see I was not hooking the minnow the best way for multiple casts. I feel your guys frustration on getting skunked a Mosquito this weekend. I emptied my tackle box at that lake thinking something gotta work but never did. I will say this, I saw a guy wading catch the biggest walleye I have ever seen and that motivated us for a few more hours. Had to be close to 30"

·
Registered
177 Posts
Like others said... into the mouth and out through the back of the head. If you can get it close to either side of the back bone without puncturing it, the minnow will live quite awhile. As far as it staying on the hook goes, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You can get a good 50 casts if it’s on good (though, I’d rather have a bite before then). Then you’ll fling it off first cast. Then fumble the next minnow into the water. Then you’ll start sweating at the third minnow lol.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen this monster walleye. I’m curious as well to where it was caught. Not that I would plan on fishing there, I have my own spots. Seems that there are so many more waders this year than last year. It looks like the Maumee off of many of the easily accessible “hot spots”.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got 2 last night and a crappie. One on a jig and minnow before dark . One after dark and the crappie on rapalas.
Both walleye had several fish in there bellies. I'm wondering if there is a ton of baitfish in the lake this year, and maybe that at least part of the reason it's been a harder sping then normal.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Like others said... into the mouth and out through the back of the head. If you can get it close to either side of the back bone without puncturing it, the minnow will live quite awhile. As far as it staying on the hook goes, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You can get a good 50 casts if it’s on good (though, I’d rather have a bite before then). Then you’ll fling it off first cast. Then fumble the next minnow into the water. Then you’ll start sweating at the third minnow lol.

Yeah, I would have liked to have seen this monster walleye. I’m curious as well to where it was caught. Not that I would plan on fishing there, I have my own spots. Seems that there are so many more waders this year than last year. It looks like the Maumee off of many of the easily accessible “hot spots”.
I'm always amused about these hot spots from shore, because maybe the fact they are hot spots is because they are easily accessible? ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm always amused about these hot spots from shore, because maybe the fact they are hot spots is because they are easily accessible? ;)
Something like that. I saw 8 guys standing inside a 20 yard circle off the 305 boat ramp the other day. The cemetery is... well I don't even check there anymore lol. Imagination Station is a great spot prior to April 1st. As soon as they open those gates to the parking lot, forget about fishing there for the rest of the season. The Facebook groups have exposed Mosquito quite a bit. I don't recall this amount of waders last year.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
We went to Mosquito today surface temp 49.5-50.5 deg. Ended up with 21 crappie and 1 walleye all trolling. Fished water 7 feet to 21 feet south of the causeway. Best was #5 flicker shad 125 back off of big boards. Walleye came from lead core 100 feet out. We ran 0.8 to 1.3 mph speed over ground.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Agree with a lot of the convo about the bite being goofy this spring. It's been a combination of odd weather, but the fish are starting to get into a more regular routine. I still see a bunch trying to spawn in the rocks and shallows, but a fair portion are done spawning and ready to eat again. Getting a bite while they spawn is damn near impossible. This weeks tally is 3 nights fishing, 10 Walleye, 6 keepers, 4 fish lost, 2 slab crappie and 1 dink largemouth.

Attachments

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,398 Posts
Exactly! Luckily they all don't spawn all at once. The ones starting to bite now are the early spawners who have had a chance to recover and are starting to feed again.

Over the years I've been told a couple of things about Mosquito by old timers. About wading I was told that just because you caught them in a certain spot last night doesn't mean you will catch them there tonight, or tomorrow night, or the night after that! They don't move up onto the same spots every night. If they do move up where you are you'll probably catch some because they are coming in to feed.

Another was about the best time to fish. I was told to look for the dogwoods blooming in the woods alongside the lake. The walleye bite will really heat up then! If you can couple this with a SW wind, you could be in like Flynn!

These could just be "old timer's tales", but they do seem to have a grain of truth in them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts