close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito Egg Collection

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Big Daddy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Now I gotta tell you, sometimes I hate my job.

Today was NOT one of those days! ;) Everything went FLAWLESSLY. The rains held off, there were a TON of walleye, and it was VERY interesting to see how the guys from the Div. of Wildlife collected the eggs. They were making saugeye today!

That was one of the most interesting stories I've done. There are some BIG walleye in Mosquito... and Northerns, and crappie, and gills, and catfish... Saw them ALL today!

Amazing fishery. That's for sure. I only regret I only have 1:25 to tell the story. There's so much going on. They're going to stock 17-20 million walleye all over the state this year, that I do know. Plus, they've figured out a way to treat the eggs that takes care of any VHS issues the USFWS may be worried about. COOL STUFF!

I have a few pix I need to edit and post, but teh video portion is done and I will post it in a little while.

Thanks Matt and the rest of the guys from District 3, plus all the hatchery teams for allowing me to tell the story. It's far from perfect, but I think it conveys what you do in a general sort of way.

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

That sounds like a great thing to watch Carl. !%

I'm looking forward to watching the video. :B

3. I went out with DNR about 2-3 years ago and helped them with the egg collection at mosquito. Big Daddy's right, it's is a lot of fun and very interesting. The number of walleye was shocking, especially the ones in the 25"-29" range. So we know they're in there. The part I found the most interesting was how the sauger they used for the milt were only 8"-10" long.

4. Here you go... The computer folks at work are on the video upload issue... I'm trying...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. :) ..BigDaddy....Sounds like a project that all of us would have enjoyed being on....Can't wait for further Posts about your egg gathering excursion... Must be nice to have a job like yours...Lot of big eye's up there .....Put Mosquito back on my..must do this year list....Thank You...
    :F GOOD FISHING GUY
    BigDaddy...Soon as I posted this reply...There you were with your story....And Great video...Now after watching that video does'nt give you the fever there is nothing that will...NICE EYES

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  6. It's there! WHOOPPEE!

I only scratched the surface... I mean they were fertilizing eggs right there, this time making saugeye, PLUS they were treating the eggs with iodine to put a stop to any VHS anyone would be worried about. There has been extensive reseach that shows treating eggs with iodine stops VHS, so there may be hope... We'll see what the Feds say...

They collect quart after quart of eggs... they were hoping for close to 100 quarts TODAY alone! It was very interesting.

The fry produced will go to lakes all over... Walleye to Mosquito, Berlin, and others... Saugeye to lakes further South... It was cool to see. 17 to 20 million fry... That's a lot of toothy critters...

7. Nice story and video. Good job Big Daddy.

8. That is awesome, would have been sweet to see all about how it is done, nice report.

9. Great thread Carl! I may go out and watch tomorrow with my daughter.

10. Is there a reason why they stock only Saugeye in the southern part of the state vs the north? I know they dont do saugeye up here because of the fear of ruining Erie but why not just do Walleye all over Ohio?

11. i think the fear of them getting in erie is part of it, odd though considering there are, atleast were, saugeye naturally occuring in erie, though in very small numbers. i think the biggest thing is the northern res. dont flow though as fast, which is apparently better for walleye as opposed to saugeye. very cool post btw!, i was at senecaville this week and they were talking about all the eyes they are raising this year and the things they are changing due to vhs. any really giant eyes in the mix that day?

12. Thanks Carl. Good Story. I would love to see more video and pics. How much video did you shoot for a segement just over a minute? Bet there is alot of editing.

I have read the saugeye are more tolerant to warmer waters, and they have been more successful thriving in waters that are at the south end of the walleye's natural range.

13. There were at least four that were 7's or better... The biologists said they pulled several 7's and 8's over the course of the last week...

I'm going to put together a longer piece Monday, probably 20 minutes long... When I get it done, I'll post a link...

I shot 30 minutes of tape for the 1:25 story. I could have shot two hours!

14. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

BD.......This has been repeated every spring for years/years/and years....This is the best coverage that I've ever seen....that catches it, as it is. Did I expect less.......heck no....you said you were going to cover this and you delivered......As I mentioned in a previous post......somewhere else....really shows the Ohio fisherman, that the ODNR, (with the money resources they have each year) do a great job of trying to re-supply, we fishermen with fresh stock......each year.....Funny how the "NETS" can tell a story, that at times, can be very different than what the fishermen believe....Oh well, guess it's up to us to catch them or not .....and thats the difference between FISHIN and CATCHIN................Jon Sr.

15. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i forgot about his report with the odnr and thaught who would mess with mosquito eggs???? nice story and report.

16. the video was awesome. that alone got my nephew more excited to hit the water then 2 weeks of getting our gear together,lol. thanks Big D....

17. Excellent coverage, BigDaddy!

18. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I was watching them today for a little while. It really is very interesting to watch. Good job on the coverage Bigdaddy.