Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things were really falling into place! The wading dusk bite was good, and on Tuesday morning I had five walleyes, biggest 17", trolling Rapalas in deep water. They should really be on the bite, the first warm spell, be ready.:T
John

·
Registered
157 Posts
:confused: I will be fishing a bass tourny at mosquito next week. I have never been there. I was wondering if you guys could give me directions to the state park ramp by the dam.I live just south of canton. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
:confused: I will be fishing a bass tourny at mosquito next week. I have never been there. I was wondering if you guys could give me directions to the state park ramp by the dam.I live just south of canton. Any help would be appreciated!
Ranger16, I would take 77N to 76E to 5N. Make sure you stay on 5! It takes you up to Cortland. Before you get to Cortland look for signs for Mosquito state park! Also watch your speed on 5. It's always being patrolled!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is a site that may help you. You can zoom in and see and areal map or satellite map, etc. You can see the dam. Hope this helps.:)

http://www.thenaturalresource.com/fishing/WATACCIL_00.php

·
Registered
92 Posts
Luredaddy, What size and color rapala do yu prefer this time of year? I have been casting rapalas at the dam a few times this year- #7 floating and also suspending husky jerks- with no luck.

Dave

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Im ready! Got some #14 Jerks AND 8in Rapalla floaters I want to drag around. Hope to hook bigger fish. :T

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there any BIG Walleye's in Mosquito? I always seem to catch alot of the 15 to 18 inch fish, never any big ones! I caught on to many stumps that felt huge though! lol

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Ill mine come from trollin. Get half dozen or so a year over 24. Heaviest at 8-9lb. They are there! Problem is staying on them because of the clear water. ALOT of diff ways to troll on res and they all work.
Something else This brings to mind. Does the DNR trap on the north end of Skeeter?

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts

Hi, here are the directions to Mosquito from Canton.

Take 77 north to 76 east. Get off at the Ravenna exit (rt 5/82). Stay on 5/82 until the Elm Rd exit (Rt 5) turn right toward Cortland. To launch at the State Park continue on Elm Rd for about 3 minutes turn left at Warren Meadville Rd then about a 1/8 of a mile left onto Durst Colebrook rd. It will dead end at the dam. Turn left and the State Park is on your right. If you need to hit the bait shop first continue on RT 5 until Rt 305. Turn left and Lakeside Bait Shop is on your right. Turn out of LBS and turn left at the light and then turn right on the dam to the State Park. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a bait shop inside the State Park, Joe and his wife are great people to deal with, and it is very convenient.
John

·
Registered
69 Posts
jig the dnr doesnt go north of Dans Marina. There is not any good net sights up north of 88. There is deffently enough fish up there but the topography is for the nets is not there. At least thats what I herd.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
You mean they get them in there traps.:p Havent heard about any big eyes from the north end but a good day troll. That water had to be above 50 last week. OHYA! Was up there tonight throwing of the rocks. Most out or tight. I mean in the rocks.;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
it used to have alot of big walleye in there until everyone wanted to keep every fish they caught in there. The lake recieves way to much pressure to regularly catch respectable eyes. ex: at least 23 inches

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
it used to have alot of big walleye in there until everyone wanted to keep every fish they caught in there. The lake recieves way to much pressure to regularly catch respectable eyes. ex: at least 23 inches
I think what we need is the state to put a Size Limit on some of these lakes like we have on the Bass, on some lakes or a slot length, it will take a while but it will bring back the big fish we used to catch. I used to catch some big eye's at Mosq. we all have.This size limit works in other states why not ours.:C .

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The DNR used to trap a bay on the East side just North of 88, did not see them last year havent been up yet this year .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts