Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to go to skitter yesterday, took the kayak and headed to the south end. Put in at the cemetery and went out +/- 400yds into 7/8ft of water. I used a dropshot setup on 1 rod and a crappie spreader on the other rod. The top hook on the spreader had a crappie magnet/jig and the rest had crawlers.

I knew this was going to be a brawl bottom bouncing both rigs using ul setups. The hits were steady & at times a little too steady with working 1 rod and the other getting blasted. Caught a lot of dink catfish, perch and bluegill along with a lot of nice keepers.

Ended up with 2 stringers of keepers consisting of catfish, crappie, perch & bluegill.

Was there for around 3 hours and ran out of bait. The ul setups always keep it interesting with small fish feeling like big fish and big fish keep me coming back. Nothing better then working a fish in while their fighting the whole time.

It's hard to tell from the picture above and I need to start taking more pictures with tape measures in them. The catfish were all caught on a 4' 8" Pflueger president rod/reel combo that has a pres #20 rell that I usually use for dock shooting. The cutting board is 14" and the filet knife has a 4" blade and is 8" long.

It was a great day of fishing on Mosquito!!! Went there looking for a brawl and skeeter gave me all I could handle.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,845 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know the name of the cemetery, The road is west main road just off of rt 46. Turn west off rt 46 at the west main rd intersection (a napa is on the corner/sonoco on the other side). Go down +/- 500 yds and you're there.

Today's bundle of joy fishing at the same place.

Some pretty good catfish today

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget about the old pagan rituals involving boards/nails/etc.

Get a head knocker, I use a 2ft baseball bat (see photo above) and give them a tap. Then it's a simple matter of grabbing the filet knife & start at the head. Feel for a plate behind the head and start the cut there. Angle that cut from the top of the fish behind the head down to the pelvic fins Once you have established that angle start cutting at the top of the catfish down only 1" towards the pelvic fin on that side.

Use your filet knife and run it down the backbone starting at the head cut you made. That head cut should be in front of the dorsal fin & as you start down the backbone you'll feel a bump out for that dorsal fin on the spine. After you go around that bump out the rest of the cut is a flat cut following the spine. After the bum out keep cutting feeling the rib cage & as you get lower on the fish the filet knife will go deeper into the fish. After you clear the ribcage your knife will come out the bottom of the fish behind the anal area. Keep following the backbone and slice the filet down to the tail

Leave the bottom of the filet attached to the fish. Now cut out the fillet around the rib cage up to pointed area behind the head. Once the filet is freed from the body of the fish lay it flat, skin down meat up. Use your filet knife and start by the tail and cut the meat down to the skin at an angle then making sure your filet knife is flat cut the meat free from skin slowly hanging onto the handle/fish. As you get up the filet towards the head area of the filet let go of the fish and grab the skin.

Filet flat, knife flat, hold skin tight, small cuts sliding down the skin. May take 8/10 cuts to do but cleaning a catfish this way take +/- 1 minute per side.

I clean any fish that I want to skin this way. If I don't want to scale crappie/perch/bluegill/bass they get skinned this way. I do walleye the same way also skinning them.

I use rapala filet knives with a 4" and a 6" blade.

Sorry for being so long winded: the watered down version
Filet the fish, leave it attached to the tail. Use the tail as a handle and cut the filet free from the skin of the fish.

good luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on where they were caught and what they've been eating. Typically I keep & eat 12" to 20" catfish. Any bigger and they've been sucking on old tires and god only knows what else for a living.

If you look at the pictures of the catfish I'm posting you'll see that they have clean white bellies with spots on them. Super clean fish with nothing in their mud veins.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts