Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out at about 0800 and fished until the skies opened and got caught in it. Not fun for the first time out in a new to me boat. Blue gill in 10-12 fow and a few 10-12” crappie in the 14-16 fow. Came home with a few keepers but fishing was slow for me at least. That storm came out of nowhere What do you guys do when that happens, head in or wait it out. I kind of did both could not see any landmarks when the storm was on us.
thanks
Ed

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Went out at about 0800 and fished until the skies opened and got caught in it. Not fun for the first time out in a new to me boat. Blue gill in 10-12 fow and a few 10-12” crappie in the 14-16 fow. Came home with a few keepers but fishing was slow for me at least. That storm came out of nowhere What do you guys do when that happens, head in or wait it out. I kind of did both could not see any landmarks when the storm was on us.
thanks
Ed
The more time you spend on the water, the more you will understand storms. You donot wait it out, you leave. You can sit in the parking lot until it passes, then go back out. If storms are imminent, listen to an AM radio station, you will be able to hear the lightning in your radio. When I was young, at Mosquito, I would run from one end of the lake to the other, to avoid the storms, at 73, not now.

·
AKA Rubber Duck on the water
113 Posts
I have been stuck under the causeway a couple times on mosquito. Problem is you do not know how long it will last then you might have to come off when you really shouldn't be.

Thinking of heading there tomorrow and trolling around or drifting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone was heading toward the causeway where the skies looked clearer but I put in at the state park. I checked the radar about a half hour before it came and thought I had at least an hour but it was fast. Also in an aluminum boat bits 20hp doesn’t move too quick, plus I couldn’t see a damn thing. My son and I will talk about this one for sure

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Head for shore beach it and get out boat your safe what counts most! I have a bilge pump in my 14'!

·
Registered
253 Posts
They scariest water I have been on is mosquito me and my dad almost sunk the 16 foot sea nymph few years back it kicked up so face I had waves almost coming over bow it was scary strong south wind kicked up quick

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
They scariest water I have been on is mosquito me and my dad almost sunk the 16 foot sea nymph few years back it kicked up so face I had waves almost coming over bow it was scary strong south wind kicked up quick
Been on Erie in everything it's got then I did that "scary scene" many years ago with a former friend In A Coleman CANOE!(not a real religious guy but silently said a couple to Him going back in!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts