Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man we need the WX to shift to a warmer pattern! Started out the morning with 30 degree outside air temps and water was 49.5 degrees. Water temp at 1830 was up to 54 degrees. Started shallow looking for walleye with no luck. Moved deeper and picked up one walleye that measured 16" in 18 FOW with a silver, single hook spinner on bottom bouncer with minnow. That was the ONLY walleye for the day. Lots of crappie and perch and a few bluegills. Spent the day switching up colors and presentations. NADA! If there was 100 boats out there, I bet 85 were anchored or (slightly) drifting for crappie. Lots of crappie on the sonar. Just not my thing. Every crappie I caught was small. Saw plenty of other boats tossing back small fish. Maybe next time!!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I was going to post a controversial statement about the walleye in Mosquito but I think just a question will do and that is,of the many and more than usuall anglers on that lake this year I haven't heard or read about catching " hammer handle" walleye and last year was the same for me,anybody wondering why? Not trying to hijack the thread but just read the reports on it and thought I would ask the question.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Iv noticed alot of bait most iv ever seen at mosquito it has been the worst spring for me and alot of people I know and if people are catching them its ver tight lipped due to all the boaters every spot i fished early spring had atleast 1 boat on it i kinda gave up after I seen all the boats past years I was the only one

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to post a controversial statement about the walleye in Mosquito but I think just a question will do and that is,of the many and more than usuall anglers on that lake this year I haven't heard or read about catching " hammer handle" walleye and last year was the same for me,anybody wondering why? Not trying to hijack the thread but just read the reports on it and thought I would ask the question.
I am definitely wondering why, but the weather has a lot to do with it so far this year. After it warms up and the water can stay above 50 for a week it should do better. I fished it today for 12 hours and no walleye. Never seen one netted either (which would not be hard to do as it was a zoo out there). Water temps at start of day were 54 and made it up to 59 by 6 PM.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
With 50yrs. on that lake I've seen this before and it doesn't look good.Anything that I would say would only be from experience and not any kind of data.But when there's good fry survival you are always bothered by them hungry little fish.Just ask the Lake Erie fisherman about them pesky little walleye the past 4yrs. Just my opinion.I would think that mid May and 12hrs. on that walleye "MECCA" lake and you never caught one would make me wonder.

·
Registered
115 Posts
With 50yrs. on that lake I've seen this before and it doesn't look good.Anything that I would say would only be from experience and not any kind of data.But when there's good fry survival you are always bothered by them hungry little fish.Just ask the Lake Erie fisherman about them pesky little walleye the past 4yrs. Just my opinion.I would think that mid May and 12hrs. on that walleye "MECCA" lake and you never caught one would make me wonder.
100% agree! Walleye numbers are significantly down in the lake in my opinion. Would like to know Odnr’s netting data compared to prior years........

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not really sure if they do test netting for population data that often. I do know that the trap net's are set for egg collection and when they hit what is needed then they pull the net's.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree. I'm no professional walleye angler, but I put in my share of time and I know that lake better than any other around here. I've collectively logged about 24 hours out there this year between three outings and have one 15" walleye to show for it. Coincidently, when I got home and jumped online Facebook "reminded me" of a walleye I caught 6 years ago on this day. It was 25". Thanks for nothing FB :(.

Sidenote, I also put in a few hours watching "Head2Head" fishing online last week. 16 man tournament that is pretty fun to watch if you have some time. It's all streamed live and each angler is only competing against one other angler in a bracket style tourney. They were walleye fishing in Lake Winnebago, WI. They couldn't buy a bite. Some matchups literally ended in a coin toss because neither fisherman caught a fish. Not one! Even in the final championship match one angler scored a zero! Anyway, I said all that to say that they were fishing in conditions much like we have had around here. Cold front after cold front, very cold water, and generally poor fishing conditions. Lake Winnebago is a massive inland lake that has some very good walleye fishing (I grew up in Wisconsin). I know the lakes aren't the same, but they are similar and the conditions in Wisconsin have been identical to our spring. If sixteen "semi-pro" walleye anglers struggled that hard for 5 hours a day, for 5 days, than maybe there is more to it than just the fishery (relating it to our lakes). Just something to think about and it keeps me from going insane and selling all of my fishing gear and taking up golf.

I'm not writing off Mosquito yet. Just might have to work harder for those larger fish. And that is OK.

Of course there is always West Branch, it's the best inland walleye lake in NE Ohio if you believe some reports! :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Mosquito over the last 10 years has changed a lot. It is cleaner and the weed growth is more vast. And the population of perch and bluegills is like never before. There is so much food for the walleye, they're healthier then ever.
I remember doing tournaments back in the 90s and 2000's where if you caught 10 lbs for 5 walleye, you were guaranteed a top 3 spot. In the past 5 to 10 years if you had 10 lbs you weren't even close to being in the top 10. 15 to 20 lbs is what was needed to be in the top. That is how much more healthy and bigger walleye are in the lake now.
But what I have noticed in these last 10 years is that you have to change the way to fish for them. Some of the ways that used to get great results back 20 years ago, don't work that great anymore.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Fished mosquito for the first time this year during the walleye spawn. One night i seen at least 15 different fish all 20+ inches rolling. Seen just as many small ones cruising in against the shore. The fish are there just harder to catch. I didnt notice any difference in taste between my skeeter and pymie walleye so i may have to take the boat up a few times to try it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts