Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fishing vs catching
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day on the lake. Six 18" eyes and 12 crappie, all nice size. Eyes came on Lil Rippers 150' back. Grey Ghost, Purple Demon and Fire tiger. Crappies on worm harnesses with brown/orange blades. Trolling along around 2.1-2.4.
All crappie were females full of roe.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
About time we read a good report for Mosquito. Thanks for the post.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
We also hit mosquito on Saturday because Erie looked to be a bit rough. Trolled ripsticks near the bouy's on north side, 4 large crappie and 0 walleye. Went to the cemetary, pretty rough over there, trolled for a bit got nothing. Finally tried shoreline just south of causeway on west side. Hit into some walleyes in 5 fow. 1/4 ounce pink jig tipped with half a crawler. Fast action but no size. Only one 15" in about 12 caught. Also two big blue gills on same jig.

·
geomichaelpk
156 Posts
Three of us at Mosquito yesterday too. Started fishing at approx. 8:30am and got our ticket by noon. Casting rapala's, vibe's and jigs in the shallows. Eyes measured out from 15" to 21".

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
If the three walleyes in that pic came from Mosquito than let a herd of angry buffalo trample me to death and let the vultures eat me!!

·
Fishing vs catching
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were all 18" plus a few to the longer side...we don't play that "local" game about keeping whatever is caught! Has to be "Erie legal for a yanky"otherwise it goes back in the water...by the way we caught three which were under 15" and they are still swimming in Mosquito.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good To Hear About Yhe Swimmers. Same Goes In This Boat. Maybe If Everyone Did This Mosquito Would Be Abetter Place To Fish.

·
geomichaelpk
156 Posts
If the three walleyes in that pic came from Mosquito than let a herd of angry buffalo trample me to death and let the vultures eat me!!
That photo is our signature. Taken during the Winterfest of '06'
at the big lake. We will be at Mosquito again on Saturday (5/19).
Good Fishing to all of you! p.s. Check out our post titled:
Early Spring Action - April 2007.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Glad to see the dedicated eye fisherman have their personal size limit at mosquito. You catch them often enough to throw back whatever you want. I fish for mainly panfish, so when i catch a 14" eye, it's dinner for me. I'd rather eat the 14 to 17" ones anyway. Last week i caught over 500 panfish there but only 3 walleyes. Kept 15 fish in three trips. One was 22", one 15, and one 14". They were like vitamins, one a day. Dont think i'm hurting the eye population there. But thats just me.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Chaunc,
Of course you are not hurting the population. It seems that people get concerned if 14" Walleyes are kept at Mosquito, yet they have no qualms about keeping any size Crappie, Bluegill, Channel cat, etc...They lose sight of the fact that Mosquito is a put and take lake. I have no problem if people keep a 13 or 14" Walleye, there. BUT, if people were keeping 13 or 14" Walleyes at West Branch, I would try to convince them, since they are NATURALLY reproduced fish, they may want to reconsider. I was checked by the Game Warden last week, nice guy, and I heard him explain to two people why it was OK in his opinion , to keep 14" walleyes. I used to believe that a 15" limit was the answer for Mosquito, not any more. Pymatuning has had a 15" limit, and Pymy's fishermen are now coming to Mosquito. I am sure other variables are involved besides a size limit, but it is tragic what has happened at Pymatuning. Go fish!!
John

·
Mongo
515 Posts
I too believe that people have the right to keep 13 and 14 inch walleye if the regulations say that they can. I would agree that there could be an argument that there should be a 15 inch minimum on Mosquito because it is a brood stood stock lake that the state needs to supply more walleye and saugeye for the rest of the state and also mosquito. This would give the state more adult fish and also would give that year class at least one year to spawn on its own. That is why there is now a size limit on Erie. There is a 15 inch size limit on Berlin because it has good natural reproduction and is also a brood stock lake. I also think that Pymtuning is in bad shape. There has not been a successful year class of walleye in that lake for at least 4 years and it is starting to really show. The days of catching 100 walleye to get a 6 fish limit of 15 inch fish is over. It is a trophy lake now with almost every fish that you catch is over 18 inches with the chance to catch 25 + on every trip. I grew up fishing that lake at least twice a week and it has really changed. I hope that this year’s young walleye are successful. I know that both PA and Ohio stocked the lake and PA is going to put in 200,000 advanced walleye fry. They are also doing work to see where the weak link is in the walleyes life cycle to try and find why the young are not surviving. I can tell you that the crappie fishing is phenomenal now that the walleye population is not feeding on them. There are tons of 14 and 15 inch crappie in that lake. My dad was up there yesterday and he did very well keeping 20 crappie 12 to 15 inches. The big fish are still out deeper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts