close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

mosquito 4-18-08

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by nforcer1973, Apr 18, 2008.

1. well, hit the lake again this morning with my father around 6am. tried drifting, trolling and even the shallows and once again, nothing. we talked w/ several other boats fishing the south end and all are saying the same thing, nothing. water temp was 56-58 on the surface of the south end. i would love to have someone show me how to fish mosquito, i've fished it since i was a kid (34 years old now) and it seems like the lake is fished out..... old tactics and were "gold" seem to have no affect now on catching fish. gonna let the "boaters" have the lake this weekend, i'll try again next monday or tuesday evening. good luck to all.

2. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

I can ensure you its far from fished out, i can also ensure you the walleyes, crappies and largemouth are all shallow and hungry

3. Try after dark, most guys are catching the walleyes from 9-11, not great numbers, but they are catching fish.

4. still casting

still casting Them Boys

I fished Friday until 300pm and saturday until 4 and only manged minimal results both days. There was a bass & Walleye tourment saturday.. boats everywhere. I can say that over all its been slow. the tourment winner for the walleye only had 3 fish with the biggest at 17inches and these guys are supposed to be the pro's. I hit 1 eye at the bouy line and that was it, the rest of my catch was crappies. I fished the north and south sides and hit just about all the good spots Stump fields, Crane area , and Bouy line up north.

5. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I was there today and had good results. Was using a microspoon tipped with a minnow drifting the 88 stumpfield. 1/32 oz spoon was the ticket.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the cooler of fish i gave my brother.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the sinkfull i kept for myself.
    [​IMG]
    Not a bad day of fishing.

6. Chaunc, you are THE MAN. Chalk up another pile of slabs for the crappie king.

7. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

i agree nice crappies i know where i am going this coming weekend

8. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Take some spoons with you. I definatly caught the bigger ones with them.

9. just my 2 cents on Squito- fish the north end by the buoy line when the sun is shining bright for the next 3-4 wks- the crappie will be trying to jump in your boat.... the water will get too warm and it will slow down until dusk especially for the eyes.... THEN fish the south end by the cemetary

10. still casting, i have to correct you on your results, i was in the walleye tournament on saturday, our winner had 5 fish weighing in at 9.92 pounds, it was a tough bite over the weekend, most of top finishers were jiggin in the shallows, but some were taken trolling(mostly smaller ones). This years late april tournament probably had the smallest weights i can remember for mosquito. Hopefully the bite improves with the water temp getting higher.

11. I have not fished Mosquito since I as a young kid (say 7 or 8). Now I am 36 and taking my kids there this weekend (4/26 and 4/27). My kids are young 3 and 5. I want them to catch fish at a decent rate to keep their interest the best I can. I would greatly appreciate any and all tips to fish Mosquito. I would love to catch walleye but crappie can be a lot easier. What would you recommend to use and where? I will have my rod too but I doubt that my line will get wet! This is a weekend for the kids to have fun. Any and all help appreciated. Jim

12. still casting

still casting Them Boys

Sorry for the mis info , there was three tournaments . My job OSP had a employee walleye tournament and the winner had three. the organizer of our tournament stated he talked to some guys that was in the second walleye tourney and he said so far the best was three with 17" being the biggest. SO Cuddos to the winners. I jigged awhile along the rocks and all I got was snags :)

13. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Isn't it funny how the bite changes in such a short time. Lots of nice fish the weekend before. BTW How did you do in the tourney? I missed this one:( Last years weights were down also if I remember correctly. Mike L. won it trolling didn't he?

14. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

thanks chaunc i got some and will sure take them

15. JohnStout

JohnStout Inland walleye info

Here's some help on mosquito some of the nicer walleye are moving into short weed growth good spot to start is the 5 to 10 ft water on the west side of south end after the first island all the way to the causeway.Worm bite is on so pitch or drift live bait jigs with half a crawler in this area or drift harnesses twisters and lindy rigs tipped with half a crawller or worm.If your in the right area you should catch or mark old weed growth. Remember if you catch a fish mark the area an work it a while it will usually improve your catch drastically. Numbers of walleye and good crappies being caught in stump field near 88 on west side of south end using same techniques as mentioned above also trolling shad baits and small minnow baits at about 2.1 mph produced alot of walleyed and crappies hot colors firetiger shad rap and black and sivler big I on lead core, get baits near bottom.If you go to east side of the north end in the 9 to 11 ft stump field near bouy line and do the same things you should pick up some fish there.Troll also 20 ft to 14 ft water in red barn area get shad baits down to the bottom and make sure to hit hard bottoms and stumps don't troll in straight line make turns will improve bite.Only had good luck with firetiger ,blue silver,black silver,bluegill and chartreuse shad raps and flicker shads #5.This type of trolling produced me and Sam Cappellis 12.54 pound 5fish weight for first place two weekends ago and third place this weekend in the area tourny.Buy the way two the guys who placed in the new western walleye circuit there is a nice pic in the fish and
    field paper.and congrats to those who placed this weekend and thanks to those who fished the Western reserve walleye association it seems are numbers are getting smaller.Being in the club has helped me become a better fisherman and I have learned alot so I hope reports likenthese will help someone enjoy a day of fishing just don't ask for info before a tourny that's the only time I wont help. Back to fishing if kids get bored mosquito marina near 305 ramp east side back in those bays can be alot of fun for kids they usually hold good numbers of gills perch and bass. And for more reports good bait,food and gopd people (well) go see cathy and joe at the state park marina later good fishing

John stout

16. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

Teddy, I was qouting you. You goofball LOL. You stated in your qoute....
    ""I fished Friday until 300pm and saturday until 4 and only manged minimal results both days. There was a bass & Walleye tourment saturday.. boats everywhere. I can say that over all its been slow. the tourment winner for the walleye only had 3 fish with the biggest at 17inches and these guys are supposed to be the pro's. I hit 1 eye at the bouy line and that was it, the rest of my catch was crappies. I fished the north and south sides and hit just about all the good spots Stump fields, Crane area , and Bouy line up north"".

17. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

You would not say that if you knew him.:p This site is ruined now:D

18. TMK

TMK

JohnStout

In your first and only post on this site you've given away information that took me about five years of hard fishing at Mosquito to learn!

Where were you in 2003? Just kidding!

Seriously though for anyone looking to get walleye at Mosquito, print his post, laminate it and put it on your boat.

19. Thanks for the advice. Like I said earlier my main goal is to get the kids onto some fish so that have a great weekend. If anyone is up there this coming weekend, look for a 17.5 SMokercraft Fazer with a 60 johnson and a 9.9 johnson kicker on it (PA). My buddy and I always like a good conversation. If you happen to see us and you see one of the four kids get thrown overboard, please pick them up and return to the landing. We can get them on the way back in. Just kidding. I would also appreciate any prayers you may have for my buddy and I. Two dads, 4 kids ages 3, 4, 5, and 7. Yep I think we're nuts but we're gonna have a lot of fun! I gotta feeling the screams you will be hearing will be the first of many hooks that have been impaled somewhere in my body! Just ignore the screams. Thanks again, Jim