close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosquito (1-26) and a LaDue look-see

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Jan 26, 2005.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

made the time to get out to Mosquito for a few hours to check things out...lots of guys at the cemetary roadbed area, maybe 20 or more. i tried smack on the roadbed in 13-14'. Didnt get squat as usual. Had similar results as JIG did. I dont know why i keep coming back to this spot. I must be doing something wrong. No marks either. Hole hopped for a bit but man was that north wind brutal. Thought i had the fish of a lifetime but it turned out to be some sort of snag, it wouldnt come up past 7' so i broke it off and ended up not only losing my favorite jiggin rapala but also broke my rod tip.

Didnt sound like anyone else was doing much either.....hopefully someone else had better luck than me.

Ice where i was fishing was about 5 to 6" but i think i was on a bit of "backwards" ice.....like the ice that forms backwards somewhat, from the top.

Some guys north of me said that they were on 4" tops.

Water clarity was suprisingly ok i thought.

LaDue: stopped by on the way home to drill a couple holes. Weird looking ice. "backwards" ice was obvious. Lots of frozen slush and water that seeped up and froze i could tell because of its off color.

about 50' out was 6" and 50' more was 4". Bear in mind this is really not stucturally the best ice! It was really crappy looking. But i did see some tracks (at least 8) heading off out onto the lake. Big crack snapped open as i was walking around. yikes!!

The plow guys only plowed an area for maybe 5 cars to park, tops. :mad:

2. when i got there at 10am the first hole i fished i caught a 13 inch perch, i thought my day had finally come. Not, I caught only one more fish, a little walleye, searched all over, marked fish here and there, but no takers, all i heard were small fish caught.
    well i got my exercise, and met few nice folks. it still beats a good day at work, even though it felt like work. it was still fun.( I'll be back!)
    has anyone been catching any crappies? any where.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

crappie king..what lake were you at?

4. I'm sorry i forgot he was at two lakes, I was at mosquito.

5. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

a 13"er? nice! :)

didnt mean to sound too negative in my post....i didnt have much time....will hit er hard again sometime soon!

good fishing!

:)

6. What Part Of The Lake Did U Fish. The East Or West Side Of The Cem. :)

7. the northeast side of the cemetary mostly and various depths.

8. I Fished The Road Bed To About 15 Feet. 1 Hit On A Vib. A Old Guy Who Wades That Lake Said Theres Alot Of Stumps Behind The Edison Building There. Maybe Well Catch Ya There Sometime. Thanks For The Info:) Jig

9. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

My buddy and I were there near the raod bed in 19 feet of water. We got nine cigars but no keepers. Crappieking, were you the guy who lost his walkie talkie?

10. yep that was me watched it fall on the vex, then i sent the camera down to take a look at it. and you arrived and left the same time i did. i believe.

11. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Hey, Crappieking that was us alright. I was up there fishing one day just before the warm up and I caught nine Walleyes but they were all cigars too. I also caught four nice Crappies that day but I was fishing off of 305 out from the woods. All the fish I've got in those two trips but one came on Jigging Rapalas, Castmasters and Sweedish Pimples tipped with a minnow. I got a Sunfish on a Vib-E.
    I may go back tomorrow but I may stick around here and go to the Sportsmen's show at the Summit County Fairgrounds. The State needs to put a 15 inch size limit on the Walleyes at Mosquito so you can get some good ones more often than you do now. I've done really good up there through the ice at times but so far this Winter I haven't gotten a keeper.