close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Morning Surprise

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Utard, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Utard

Utard

Woke up early Saturday AM to take the tube out in search of some large mouth. Got to Allum Creek and into the water at about 6:30am amidst a lot of surface turbulance. It was still dark enough that I couldn't tell what these fish were hitting on top or what they were, but my heart was thumping any way. I tied on a yellow & red popper, a size 2. I cast out and trolled it out into the bay I was fishing, big splashes all around. After working the shore line and the middle water and not having a single hit I began to wonder. It had gotten light enough that I could see the only thing on top was the occasional shiners jumping up. I decided to tie on a Feather Body Soft Hackle dropper I had tied earlier that week to see if I could entice anything in. This fly is a Peter Frailey fly and can be found here:http://www.flyanglersonline.com/.
    Well, to make a long story short, I tried several buggers and leaches and even a San Juan Worm for gills or crappie. And NOTTA! I did end up catching a hand full of small BG on a PT nymph. It was a beautiful morning and very comfortable though. I even had to throw on the long sleeve T.

Well, I had a few hours before I had to be home so I stopped on the Olentangy to try to at least find something. I fished for 30 minutes and only had one hit on a Red Tailed Wooly Worm. I switched up to an orange over brown clouser and started fishing it on a down stream swing and that was just the ticket (again!). First fish was a 16" SMB which is a PBR for me. Boy was that fun! I caught a couple smaller ones afterward and noticed that the run I was moving down into was at the back door of a home. The residents were out on the porch swing having morning coffee and watching the water. Here is my chance to really show off my skills, I thought. I worked that clouser everywhere, made some really long casts to show off a little bit and notta! I thought maybe one more cast down in the fast water then I'll move on. Well, I saw a red tail fin following my clouser and my heart stopped for a moment. Then, my reel sang that sweet song in the clear morning as line was rapidly running off. I knew I had something big on. The fight pursued and it was the classic give and take, tug of war of fighting a big fish. My arm got tired so I switched up for a minute. That arm got tired so I switched back. The monster carp finally tired and I was able to bring it to hand. After showing off my prize to the couple on the swing and letting it go (I'd guess it at about 8 or 9 lbs.) I reeled in and headed for home. All in all, the tangy saved the day. Hope you guys got out. Sorry no pics.:B

2. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Nice Job U. You gotta love thos big carp. Congrats on the smallie as well. Not a bad way to spend the morning. It what a really nice morning. I got out for a bit and managed 1 good smallie, and hooked up with some gar but none to hand. Nice story also;) S

3. Utard

Utard

Thanks 7. I'm definitely taking the camera next time.