close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

morning bite vs. evening bite

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by hardwaterfan, Oct 9, 2008.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

2. fishinbula

fishinbula Its going under

Thats a tough one but I would have to go with the morning bite. Normally do really well early in the morning till little after day break. It all depends on the day though. Some days it doesn't matter morning or night.

3. I would have to say between 4 and 6 pm, but it's still a coin toss. And alot has to do with temp.

4. steelheadBob

steelheadBob Robs Guide Service

i like the time of day "bite" when my float is gone LOLOLOL

5. If I had to pick, I would definitely say morning bite. Mainly because the fish aren't pounded throughout the night. But if you go in the evening, chances are the holes were already pounded all day.

If you fish both times consistently, I would pretty much guarantee you'll have more luck in the morning. It just sucks getting up early.

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

thanks for the input guys. ive been fortunate to be around water a lot lately and from what ive seen and experienced first hand the evening bite sucks compared to the morning bite. just wondering if i was on the right track or not.

7. OhioFlyer

OhioFlyer BaddFish Killa

I personally belive that the morning bite is better. On the other hand there is a time during the day that is even better. It is called NIGHT. By night I mean LATE (10:00p-1:00a). Steelhead love eating at night when they know all of the yahoos are at home sleeping next to there Pabst. Treat them just like night time bass in the summer. By far this is the best time but as stated below "wake up early" or stay up late. Either way it is not to fun.

8. Ohioflyer is right, night fishing can be really good. I have found it to be more sporadic, though. It's like the fish go on feeding frenzies and then shut off, more so than during light hours.

9. I agree 100%. Especially about getting up early sucking! :p

Early in the season the rivers can often be too warm for the steelheads' liking. The water temperature rises and falls daily, as you can see here http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?04201500. The water temps are coolest early in the morning and rise all day reaching their highest early in the evening. It seems to me that water temperature is perhaps the greatest factor in a fish's activity level. So early in the season, the early bite is definitely better...which I'm using as my excuse for not having caught a steelie yet this season...I can never get to the river early enough! :p

Mid season however, when it's cold and gray all day everday throughout the winter, I'd say that time of day doesn't matter quite as much. When it's really cold then perhaps its even better mid or late day when the water temps are a little warmer since in the freezing cold water the fish become very lethargic. Plus in the winter you often have to deal with slush and flow ice which will be at its worst first thing in the morning but will often burn off as the day warms.

John

10. Jojopro, my theory backfired the past couple of days. I fished the Chagrin for an hour yesterday around 3, and got 2 steelies. I got there in the dark this morning for a couple of hours, fished until abot 8...my float didn't go down once. I fished the same hole both times. We definitely need some rain!