Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever try growing morels with spore kits?
If so any success?
Would like to try if it actually works

·
Registered
515 Posts
I Looked into it a few years ago. Appareny they even sell Morel kits online, but from everything I've read, it's almost impossible to grow them youself. Figure out a way, you cold be sitting on some serious $$$ lol.

Reactions: TClark

·
Registered
423 Posts
When I lived at home, every year we would throw out our water at the same location that was used when soaking our shrooms. It was in our yard and near a large beech tree. After a number of years we started to get them in that location! I also tried to grow them here at my house. I dug some up with a shovel from my hunting land. I scooped up plenty of the dirt around them so I wouldn’t disturbed them. Replanted them in my woods here at home. Layed some dead elm bark around them. Every spring I would check with no success!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've never heard of anyone having any luck with them. Someone on here got the kit but didn't hear of any results. I saw a video from china or japan on youtube & they were growing them in greenhouses. My eyes popped out when I saw it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Been picking morels for at least 30 yrs. I've tried dumping the water for years & gave up. I think it has a lot to do with the root systems of trees. Tricky little devils they are. I've found them in spots that I've looked at for years afterward & never seen any more. I had an area that produced blacks for 20 yrs & then just stopped. They grow when & where they want to.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If anybody is trying to sell you on "raising" morel mushrooms, you're being lied to. If it was possible, everybody would be doing it.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,397 Posts
I read that the lab at OSU tried it for years. No Luck.
I still dump my "morel water" in a good spot in the yard every year "just in case".
Michigan State U. spent years trying to do it as well. MI is a real hotbed of morel hunting. They had very limited success, and it involved way too much work to be worth it. Certainly not commercially viable, they couldn't even raise enough for personal use.

Been picking morels for at least 30 yrs. I've tried dumping the water for years & gave up. I think it has a lot to do with the root systems of trees. Tricky little devils they are. I've found them in spots that I've looked at for years afterward & never seen any more. I had an area that produced blacks for 20 yrs & then just stopped. They grow when & where they want to.
What I read in Michael Kuo's book is that when you see morels, that is the mycelium trying to "get out of dodge"! They have what are called mycorhizal relations with other trees and plants in that area. They act as an extension of the tree's root system, and bring it water and dissolved minerals. The tree gives back sugars and amino acids. When the tree gets in trouble the mycelium can sense it, and it will pop morels in order to broadcast spore because it "knows" it needs to move.

Apparently, the elm/morel mycorhizal connection was very strong, and when the Dutch Elm Disease began affecting the elms, morels started popping like crazy. Some give the disease credit for kick starting the morel hunting craze over here.

If anybody is trying to sell you on "raising" morel mushrooms, you're being lied to. If it was possible, everybody would be doing it.
Exactly! If people could do that you could buy morels in grocery stores. I did hear that the Heinen's in Bainbridge, just east of Chagrin Falls, had some for sale a couple of years ago, but they were gathered in the wild, and they wanted lik4 400 bucks a pound for them!

Reactions: percidaeben

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had an excavating business many moons ago and dug a few truck loads of dirt from an old elevated railroad bed for fill. I spread it out that evening and it rained overnight. Next morning there were hundreds if not thousands of the white ones all over the fill. They were even growing on the dozer tracks. Never happened again

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There are a number of places that do sell the kits & spores.
I've never heard of anyone having any luck with them. Someone on here got the kit but didn't hear of any results. I saw a video from china or japan on youtube & they were growing them in greenhouses. My eyes popped out when I saw it.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7J0HCmr8I&t=5s

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I'm dumb enough that i did buy the spores. I'm going to try it this spring. Obviously i'm going to fail after reading you fella's posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts