close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Morel Reports 2017

Discussion in 'Wild Edibles' started by kayak1979, Apr 5, 2017.

1. .

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Mike P. and RMK like this.
  2. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

Not seeing any apple blossoms yet, but forsythia are staring to come on, and finding more first bloom dandelions every day.

I'm liking the gradual warm up we're getting. Hell! They're calling for a HIGH of 36 on Friday! It's been kind of see-sawing back and forth, but no excessive swings in temp. Plus, we're getting regular rain putting moisture in the soil.

I remember one year when the temps were absolutely ideal. But, I swear, we didn't get a drop of rain from January till June! The morels were nowhere to be seen that year!

kayak1979 likes this.

3. Shaun69007

Shaun69007 Bag'em and Tag'em

The blacks are up in Licking County. Found about 7 decent ones yesterday. Top of a hill behind a dead elm...

4. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

Not sure if you are a member of the FaceBook fishing group, but there were several reports from the weekend. Even saw one from Seneca Co. which is pretty far North in the state.

kayak1979 and TDD11 like this.
  5. TDD11

TDD11

I saw that report from around Tiffin. Guess I better start taking walks.

6. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

I'm not on Facebook, so was the post about blacks? The weather is getting pretty good around here, but still far earlier than I have ever found a morel. On the way home from the golf course today I spotted the biggest area of poplars I have ever seen around here!

Now I just have to find out who owns it. There's a parking spot and everything!

7. AtticaFish

AtticaFish Jiggin Freak

It was facebook...... think 1 person said they were blacks and the next said they were greys. haha.

8. linebacker43

linebacker43 S.S Mud Dobber

Madison and Fayette county both had picks come from them the last two days. Greys and blacks

kayak1979 likes this.
  9. Clark and Greene county Grays are up with first finds over the weekend. 26 grays in Clark and 14 in Greene. My cousin and my brother found them. Dead Ash and Elm

creekchub1 and kayak1979 like this.
  10. Found 3 small blacks yesterday in Wayne

kayak1979 likes this.
  11. my grandfather who was native American told me over 40 years ago, when the lilac bushes start to bloom its morel season. I have followed his advice every year and have never been let down. it looks like we are getting close here in summit co. maybe a week

sonar, hardwaterfan and kayak1979 like this.
  12. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

+1 on lilac flowers. I have one in my yard.

kayak1979, cement569 and sonar like this.
  13. 9Left

9Left

Dayton Ohio this evening ...I was out on a fishing trip at a local river and decided to dedicate the last hour of daylight tolooking for a few.... IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3858.JPG
    IMG_3859.JPG

14. Harry1959

Harry1959 Harry

Buddy found total 20 wed. Greys and yellows. I've been twice, found nuffin

15. They are just coming on north of I-70. I spent time Thursday and Friday checking known spots and found both older (maybe a week) and some so fresh they have not "stood" up or had a chance to grow. I left everything that didn't have damage. Me and the boy are headed to another public land spot right on the I-70 line in Clark County here in about an hour. I'll report back.

I have not yet hit any of my honey holes yet and will wait for them to have time to grow and flush.

I did make it down to SW KY and hunted 7 hrs last Sunday and I found only 22 on public forest land. They were nice yellows - nothing larger than 5 inches.

kayak1979 and cement569 like this.
  16. Mike P.

Mike P.

17. beaver

beaver swamp crawler

[​IMG]

Yesterday, Jackson county.

bobk, kayak1979, 9Left and 2 others like this.
  18. We hit a public park and it only takes 45 mins or so - it is a small over looked spot. We picked 17; one yellow (early one). We left and marked 7 others. We are finding tiny fresh "babies" to some more than a week old. I tried to hold my boy off, but he picked few tiny fresh ones!lol.

Attached Files:

19. Here is a look at just how tiny the fresh ones are (yes I know it was a waste and they grow my 9 yr old found em and picked before I could intervene).

Attached Files:

9Left and hardwaterfan like this.
  20. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)