Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish an unmentionable river after work for 2 hours on 4/10/07. I planned on fishing the seams and deep water but had no luck at the first spot. The water level was low and clear so I hiked to my honey hole for smallies and had a blast. I caught 10 smallmouth in a row and ended up catching about 20 with a couple bonus steelhead out of the same area. All caught on a silver mepps spinner.

This was the biggest at 18.5 inches:

This was 18 inches:

Here is one of the steelhead caught will bass fishing:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
That's great. You are such a great fisherman. Can't thank you enough for your informative and helpful dissemination of information!

·
Cowboy Charters
1,660 Posts
It looks like the smallie has a gold mepps spinner in his mouth not silver?

nice fish non the less!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great. You are such a great fisherman. Can't thank you enough for your informative and helpful dissemination of information!
Lets see, I told you that the smallmouth are in a river, how long I fished, what I used, and water condition. What more information could I of gave? Location? I worked to find my fishing spot and don't want it over-run with people wanting a handout of a location. Most people like to hear that the smallmouth are in the river because now they can go fish for them on any trib of lake Erie. For example: its like when people hear that the night bite for walleye starts, they head for the lake, get it. It sounds like it might be to much for you if I gave you the location anyways because I had to hike over a mile to that spot.:p

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
nice job on the smallies. I read an aricle though that a couple of goby can wipe out a smallie nest in minutes. and if the fish is cought and taken away from the nest a lot of there eggs would be eaten.

·
Draggin Meat
1,498 Posts
Congrats on the fish....sounds like a great day for sure.

Do you always fish with mepps? My go to river spinner is a roostertail and favorite color is gold body with black feathers. If I see that color in a bait shop I buy all of them. I personally never gave the mepps a fair try due to my success with the tails....

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

·
multi species angler
4,365 Posts
Lets see, I told you that the smallmouth are in a river, how long I fished, what I used, and water condition. What more information could I of gave? Location? I worked to find my fishing spot and don't want it over-run with people wanting a handout of a location. Most people like to hear that the smallmouth are in the river because now they can go fish for them on any trib of lake Erie. Its like when people hear that the night bite for walleye starts, they head for the lake, get it. It sounds like it might be to much for you if I gave you the location anyways because I had to hike over a mile to that spot.:p
Come on man! You know you are suppose to give GPS coordinates and draw a map:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on the fish....sounds like a great day for sure.

Do you always fish with mepps? My go to river spinner is a roostertail and favorite color is gold body with black feathers. If I see that color in a bait shop I buy all of them. I personally never gave the mepps a fair try due to my success with the tails....

Thanks for sharing.

Dave
I have tried many types of spinners and found that the Mepps Aglia works the best. The french style blade of the Algia always spins and can be retrieved slower then like Roostertails IMHO. Because the blade always spins it is easier to control the depth of the lure (not as many snags). I use size 3 most of the time in silver without any bucktail (cheaper without bucktail and have not noticed a difference in the amount of fish caught). Here is a link for the Mepps Algia:
http://www.mepps.com/products/info/index.php?pffk=info_agliaplaintreble_121

1 - 11 of 11 Posts