close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More on worm info

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Star1pup, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I'm wondering is you couldn't get a bale of sphagnum peat moss from Home depot and use that for worm bedding?

2. My wife puts baking soda in the fridge to keep it fresh. I wonder if that would hurt the worms.

3. I hope to have a lot of crawlers for spring fishing, which begins usually by April. My workshop is unheated and that's where my fridge is. I'm trying to decide just how early I can order worms. I wonder if the fridge will keep them from freezing?

4. baitguy

baitguy catchin my own bait since 1958

pup ... I'd get them ordered sooner rather than later ... it takes them a while to get settled in and comfortable w/their new surroundings before they start to breed, and you don't want to deplete your stock before they have a chance to give you grand-worms and great grand-worms :p once they get going the only boundaries their breeding knows is enough food and the size of the container ... your Frabill will work fine but is limited in the quantities it will support, at some point they're liable to either quit breeding or be stunted like bluegills in a pond ... there are commercial ones that stack and you can just keep adding levels to them if you want, or you could build stackable ones if you wanted to ... depends what kind of unheated workshop ... my attached garage doesn't freeze and stays warm enough for them, but if it's unattached probably not ... in real life they just burrow deep enough and hibernate, 3' down or so, but a container sitting out in 15 degrees for most of January possibly will freeze them like little worm-cicles, might be good catfish bait at that point but not so much for anything else ... the fridge might keep them OK or maybe not, it might shut off when the temp gets below what the interior is set at and you're back to the freezing issue ... if you have a basement, that would work fine, I keep mine there, especially in summer ... or you could make a little heater out of a box and a small light bulb ... baking soda in the box for odors shouldn't hurt the worms at all...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. Great info from baitguy. I appreciate it. Right now I have a foam container that some worms came in. Thinking about trying to see if it will work in my fridge in my unheated workshop without freezing the worms. I also talked to a guy who has kept crawlers for at least 5 months using compost cow manure that he got at Ace Hardware. Who would have thought keeping worms would be so interesting?

6. Has anyone actually had much success breeding Canadian nightcrawlers? I would give it a shot if I thought there was a decent chance of success. Or should I try to obtain some African crawlers for breeding? And does anyone know if African crawlers are as good for bait as the Canadian variety?

Star1pup likes this.
  7. Good question. I hope we get an answer. Isn't there also a Eruopian crawler?

8. I used to ask the produce dept. at Walmart for the foam grape containers that they would receive them in. I would use grey tape to cover the holes and they would stack nice in the frig. Each container would hold 250 crawlers and keep for months

Star1pup likes this.
  9. Now I'm deciding if I need holes in the top of my foam worm box. One guy says no and one says yes. Keeping worms is more involved than I thought it would be. ;)