close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More on catfishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FishingGirl1978, Jul 15, 2007.

1. We've just really got into catfishing. We've been out a few times, caught a some nice sized channels and lots of little bullies. We'd really like to latch into some flatheads. Are there any lakes in particular that are good for flatheads? And do you catch them on standard catfishing baits (livers, etc?). Or do you have to use shrimp or something even more exotic? Thanks!

2. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

where are you located, the best bait i have found is live bluegills or cutbait,there are not many lakes up north but down south there are many good spots

3. Dont know where you are but Salt Fork and Seneca are 2 good ones. We use bluegills and gold fish for the flatheads. Fish some on the bottom and use floats with light sticks so we can see them at night on the others.Never caught a flathead on cut bait before.:B

4. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Flatheads really do like live bait. I have not tried for them myself, but plan to start, so I can't give much advice. Good luck!

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

After my fishin adventure with Cory last year I learned differant types of fish cutbait worked great at the Ohio River off of the Steubenville Marina.

Have a HEAVY pole and be prepared.

6. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

For flatheads, it doesn't have to be "live", but it really should be some kind of fish. I've had chicken liver on one rod and shad or cutbait on the other a number of times, and the liver rod caught 95% channels while the the fishy rod caught an even mix of flatheads and channels. I've caught flatheads on live and cut shad and skipjack, live bluegill, live and dead/cut suckers, live shiners, and in a pinch cut white bass.

Last time I had the boat out on the OH River (last time it was running), we caught a 25 lb flathead on a hook with two tiny dead shad on it. They were so tiny [1.5"] that most of them would fall through the holes in my cast net as I hauled them in, only bait I could find.

I've seen pictures of some monster flatheads in mosquito, but don't know anyone who targets them though.

7. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Is it legal to use bluegills as bait? I've heard yes and no. :confused:

Buick

8. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

no it isnt illegal to use bluegill as bait...but taking them by method of cast netting is...be careful...anyways..depending on where you are located several lakes around ohio have flatheads in them as well as a number of rivers... they prefer live baits such as bluegill, shad, chubs, suckers, small carp, and even FRESH cut baits, etc.., but can be taken on the normal catfishing baits (livers, doughballs, prepared baits, store bought stink baits, etc...) and look for submerged timber or gravel rocky shoals...they will cruise the shallow flats at night in search of a meal

LAKES-tappan, clendening, seneca, piedmont, buckeye, charles mills reservoir, cowan, deer creek, grand lake st. marys, etc... just about all lakes around ohio have flathead sin them bu tthese are just the ones that are actually known for them

Rivers- tuscawarus, muskingum, scioto, ohio, great miami, little miami, darby creek, alum creek, paint creek, etc...

9. I used to think it was illegal to use bluegill as bait, but after talking to a number of people working for ODNR I've found out that most of them don't know the law. As far as I can tell, as long as blugeill are legally captured (hook and line) you can use them any way you want. Gamefish cannot be kept out of traps or nets though.

As far as flatheads, the Ohio River is the best ive found. Every pool I've fished has been good.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

directly from the odnr regulations............................
    "fish" also includes bass,crappies,catfish,etc. as long as they are of legal size for possession on the body of water you are fishing,and caught by legal means(hook and line).

11. I think it's already been made pretty clear but what you use for bait is going to determine what you catch just as much as where you're fishing. Flatheads will go for FRESH cut bait, and pretty much anything that swims and is small enough to fit in their mouth. They RARELY take frozen cut bait but will go for a hook with a ball of nightcrawlers on it after heavy rains.

And as far as location, just do a search to see which waters have flatheads. Generally speaking, when you get there just find a hole deeper than 20 ft. that's either close to or has some sort of structure to it.

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My 2 biggest flatheads of 50 and 42-lbs both have come on frozen shad...But I agree fresh cut bait is best.