close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More muskie bucktail making ?'s

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by davycrockett, May 19, 2005.

1. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

I've been trying to tie a maribou bucktail similar to the Mepp's maribou with unsatifactory results. My tail doesn't "poof" out like the mepps. It just looks like a bucktail. Anyone tie tails with maribou? I already looked at luremaking and tacklemaking with no help. Thanks.

Dave

2. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Try using Fur Marabu. It puffs out nicely on Steelhead flies that I make. You can get it wherever fly tying supplies are sold such as Gander Mountain or Cabelas.

3. Have you tried it in the water, yet? Don't worry until you've seen what it does during retrieve. It's that sexy shimmy that sets it apart from bucktail.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I make my own striper jigs, they have a ring built into the jig. so if you don't have that, you could make a bunch of wraps around it, so that would puff out whatever is tied above it.

5. mrfishohio

Here's a picture off their site to show you what I mean
    [​IMG]
    That ring puffs out the bucktail.

6. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

Thanks for the advice guys. I tested my newly tied tails in a pond yesterday(no muskie in there so they didn't get "fish tested" :) ) and was pleased with the action. I guess they dont have to look pretty to catch a gator! :D

Dave

7. mrfishohio

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to, collar = ring = bed :)