close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More fish, Better fishing?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Nightprowler, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Nightprowler

Nightprowler Crappie Hunter

In this months issue of In-fisherman on page 20 there is an article titled "More fish, Better fishing? It is said that food supply is a key ingredent to catch rate. When prey is abundant, fish locate forage readily and are not fooled by anglers.
    I recently night fished with floating lights and was amazed at the tiny shad and minnow forage attacted. Some of the fish caught that night were stuffed with these forage.
    Do you think, if a lake is loaded with forage, that is why so many of us find it hard to catch fish? or the fish are not there to be caught?

2. I have been wondering the same thing and I think it probably does have something to do with not catching fish. I have spent some time this year at Eastwood in dayton, CC , CJ, gravel pits and even the GMR and they all have a ton of baitfish. I couldn't believe how many small fish I saw when i was wading the river last night, there was bait everywhere.
    But I thinnk that the abundance is only a part of the problem. All of the water in the area get hammered hard by fisherman and so I think that the majority of the problem is just too much fishing presure these fish in the area have seen every single lure walmart sells a hundred times and have benn stuck with a hook who know how many times. 95% of the fish i catch are released (most of what I don't release is used as bait!)I think most fisherman to a large extent do the same thing. every time we throw a fish back in the water it is just a little bit smarter.
    so yes I think that the over abundance of forage is part of the the problem but not all of the problem. more fishing pressure just give us fishermen a challege and makes us better fishermen!
    Well, I need to get to the river! Good fishing

3. crank

crank

An unusual abundance of food seems reasonable to me, but two things come to mind...

1.) Why is there an overabundance in the fist place (assuming there is)? This has been the toughest year of fishing I've ever had, and I've been throwing the kitchen sink in several rivers and lakes. I just keep thinking about the crazy spring we had: weeks of very warm weather in March followed by over a week of freezing temps over a month later.

2.) Even if the water is teaming with stupid bait fish, they are all infinitely more intelligent than the lures I'm tossing, making them harder targets. Sure, a lot of water is fished to the point that fish can ID lure manufacturers, but I've been skunked a number of times this year in much more vulnerable water.

4. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

crank, you made some really good points. I doubt that Ohio lakes are much different than others in terms of available forage. I have seen an amazing amount of food, but it seems that way every year. I beleive that if you can consistently catch Ohio fish, you fair much better in less pressured systems in other states. I think that fishing pressure is the main factor as an example would be to head to Canada and catch fish on anything all day.

5. this has been a tough year for alot of reasons, first the heat, also the low water. but one of the big factors is the fact that the shad had an infinantly better spawn than they did last year, there's bait everywhere and even if the bait is smarter than you lure, you still only have one lure and theres thousands of shad out there, millions if your looking at a whole lake. this year if you want to catch fish one of the big fators has been fishing at night, the big predators have been coming into inches of water at night to feed, another thing is that most people are throwing baits that are twice the size of the shad that are currently out there, and the fish aren't stupid either, there are no chartruse shad. remember throw baits the same size as the shad, 1-3 inches and slim, if its the most pletiful bait even the largest fish in the system will key in of small food. also bassnpro1 made a very good point about fishing pressure, with as few fish as our lakes and rivers have and the amount of fisherman the fish have seen most any bait invented so you have to find somthing new

6. I'll take a bad year of fishing now if it means the fish next year are gonna be that much fatter from eating all the baitfish :D

7. This has been on of the best smallie years for me. The winter was horrible. I didn't catch many stripers. Ronnie

8. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

King makes some good points but best of all is paying attention to prevalent bait size AND the bait. I know it and I still blank on it at various points in the year. Right at the beginning of the yr craws and fish are adults and your baits should match the size...4-6" is not unusual for me in spring.By May they've spawned and the fish are focused on the babies. Example;I was fishing the stillwater mid-june and was fishing w/ a deep runnig minnow that had been working well earlier in the year but I could get no hits in reliable water, Several changes in minnow/shad/sunfish imitations and nothing.Then I crossed a shallow riffle and kicked up a ton of baby craws 1 1/2" in size,put on an imitaiton to match and was into fish right away and the rest of the evening.Water clarity and depth.
    Pesonally,even though I have not been out as often as normal this year it's been a good year for smallies,esp in the GMR! TC1

9. I was at eastfork last night and in the river... the shad were so thivk that my buddy splashed the surface gently and it had a rippled domino effect for like 50 yards. this was caused by the tin shad flickering away... I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY SHAD IN MY LIFE.... With the low rainfall totals this year... the spawn was excellent not only for bass, crappie, and gills, but for shad as well.... The fishing should be good in the years to come...!!